Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From Digital Spy:

The BBC has stepped up the search for 108 missing episodes of Doctor Who following the huge success of the latest series.

Fifty hours of footage from the programme were lost - including appearances by the Daleks - after the corporation reorganised their film library in the 1970s.

"Some shows are the Holy Grail of Doctor Who," fan Ian Levine, who has worked with the BBC to help to track down some episodes, told The People. "I have been on a quest to find all the missing 16mm films since the 1970s when the BBC burnt some of the originals. I'm sure they're out there."

A spokesman added, "We're making strenuous efforts to find the tapes."

The BBC Cult TV website has been closed O-no

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Including The Daleks' Master Plan, the best ever Dr Who story, completely wiped!

How could they?!

The first dalek stories only just survived, by about a day!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It seems heard hearted now, but I believe the clearout was sparked by a storage "archive" room failing its fire certificate in the early1970's (It was full of cans of films all over the place!)

Some film cans were rescued for examples of programming, the rest was thrown in skips.

Remember this was long before the era of video tapes or satellite channels full of heritage material (aka repeats;)) And the UK had just gone over to colour transmissions in a big way, no-one could imagine anyone wanting to watch B&W again....

I'd guess a handful of episodes will turn up over the next few years (collectors seem to have a reasonable amout of stuff stashed away) but the chances of getting all 108 episodes back are nil.

This web site is worthwhile if you are interested in some of the Dr Who restoration work:

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
UFO was made in 1970 and 1971, and all episodes remain. A real pity somebody at the Beeb listened to a jobsworth about fire hazards.

Ever tried welding a petrol tank ? (in the kitchen, without washing it out thoroughly beforehand ?) I have

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Channel Hopper said:
Ever tried welding a petrol tank ? (in the kitchen, without washing it out thoroughly beforehand ?) I have
Ahh but that was in your old house CH.:)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I don't think the fire hazard story is right (acetate films are fairly safe!). In fact, early Dr Who was on quadruplex videotape, and these were wiped so the tapes could be re-used (which doesn't apply to films, obviously!).It happened to Dr Who (some), Out of the Unknown (nearly all), This Man craig (all), I think The Survivors, Doomwatch, much else etc ..........

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
jimbo said:
Ahh but that was in your old house CH.:)

Worse than that , it wasnt my house. Had a bike fuel tank flying around the kitchen under its own propulsion. I can laugh now, but at the time the flames, smoke and noise was something else

Will post a few pictures when I can find/scan them