BBC to double multiplatform content investment

Satdude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
Ireland
BBC to double multiplatform content investment

BBC Vision multimedia chief Simon Nelson has unveiled a strategy which will see every BBC television programme having some form of supporting web site. Nelson's strategy will also involve a shake-up in multimedia commissioning under a plan to double investment in multiplatform content with an additional £30m in funding over the next three years, subject to the BBC's spending review.

Speaking at an event for programme-makers from the BBC and the independent sector, Nelson said multiplatform—web, red button and mobile—was key to delivering the BBC's public purposes in the digital age.

"It's too easy to dismiss the multiplatform opportunity as simply getting our programmes onto new devices or creating web sites alongside programmes," said Nelson. "The lack of a commercial imperative and the privilege of licence fee funding oblige [the BBC] to drive innovation and break new ground in attempting to serve all audiences in the UK ... We will be able to liberate our content from the limitations of the live linear schedule."

Nelson also announced a year-long communication campaign to share audience research, market knowledge and BBC Vision's requirements in-house, across the BBC, and with the wider independent sector.

Jana Bennett, director of BBC Vision, said: "BBC Vision was created in part to place the BBC at the heart of the multimedia landscape. We have a real advantage that's born out of our scale and the range of our talent and skills here. I believe that together we can define this new creative space in terms of public service content and populate it with ideas that are distinctive and innovative."

Regards Satdude.