BBCi on southern beam

tenerifesat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How is it possible that i can watch about 8 of the interactive channels on astra2 southern beam in tenerife on a 60cm dish, without a digibox? At the moment i am watching fame acc. live, a bbc cooking channel and a few test cards. I thought that you had to get bbc on 2d to get the promt to press the red button to take you to these channels. I´m stumped. If anyone can explain this i look forward to your reply.....................cheers....Andy.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just checked it out on my BEC, yes getting the same, although not really main stream programming, got the Fame Academy noisy eating contest on at the moment. :)

V
2/3

tenerifesat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
Just checked it out on my BEC, yes getting the same, although not really main stream programming, got the Fame Academy noisy eating contest on at the moment. :)

V
2/3

When you say not main stream, I take it that means that the bbc football interactive will be on some other streams that we cant get here.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
By mainstream I meant, not particularly interesting programming Andy, whether the football will be on there is another matter, will be interesting to see for those of your outside 2D reception range.

The Digibox will very often not find channels when a non-Sky receiver will, for instance on the odd occasion when they transmit a PPV film in the clear, the digibox still expects it to be encrypted and will not see it.

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
tenerifesat said:
How is it possible that i can watch about 8 of the interactive channels on astra2 southern beam in tenerife on a 60cm dish, without a digibox? At the moment i am watching fame acc. live, a bbc cooking channel and a few test cards. I thought that you had to get bbc on 2d to get the promt to press the red button to take you to these channels. I´m stumped. If anyone can explain this i look forward to your reply.....................cheers....Andy.

hi tf sat. i´m also in tenerife. what kinda box you got if its not a digibox? rob43

tenerifesat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:

V
2/3

tried it 5 mins ago 2.30pm sat, 3 of the streams say eng v macedonia. 1 says live, 1 says highlights. also the ireland rugby match is being shown as on bbc1. I´m getting too exited that i might get this game on a 60cm dish, 2000miles outside the footprint, how lucky would that be. fingers crossed.......cheers.......andy

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just watching the panel with Gary Linaker, 17:20 UK time DEV-STRM-3 Yes, showing the match. :)

palmerpalm

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
tenerifesat said:
tried it 5 mins ago 2.30pm sat, 3 of the streams say eng v macedonia. 1 says live, 1 says highlights. also the ireland rugby match is being shown as on bbc1.

I tried also, but without success. On my Digibox and on my Humax CI-8100-PVR when I do a "Find channel" on transponder 12441V fec 2/3 I find only the BBC radio channels (BBC 2 and BBC 4). I tried also to manually input the Video PID and Audio PID (taken from the kingofsat site) of the BBCi channels, but without success.

What sat receiver do you have?

Terramis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
palmerpalm said:
I tried also, but without success. On my Digibox and on my Humax CI-8100-PVR when I do a "Find channel" on transponder 12441V fec 2/3 I find only the BBC radio channels (BBC 2 and BBC 4). I tried also to manually input the Video PID and Audio PID (taken from the kingofsat site) of the BBCi channels, but without success.

What sat receiver do you have?

My Nokia 9800s finds the channels but places them into the "All Data" list instead of "All TV" which (I guess) means that the data stream is not at all standard. That's probably why some receivers pick them up and some ignore them completely.

To watch these channels on a 9800s you need MA2.0+ ... MA1.31 will not decode them correctly. You have to go into the "All Data" list and select the ones called STREAM-x (not the DEV-STRM-x). This way you will get about a second of video before the screen blanks. Repeatedly changing the channel from one stream to another will eventually fool the receiver into not blanking the screen. Typical of the Nokia, that.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Anyone knows how to find them with a humax 5400? i have tried to search for the channels using pids, but didnt find anithing.

Thanks in advance

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
@ Terramis

Same problem here. I reckoned going back to MA1.3 might 'solve' the problem. It didn't.

I, too, am getting a bit bored having to try and fool the receiver into letting me watch a video channel - which is clearly video and not digits.

Presumably it must be a bug which will be ironed out by Nokia sometime next year or the year after. Their website makes no reference to this problem.

Regards,

Mark.

palmerpalm

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thank you to Terramis for the explanation

sgar said:
Anyone knows how to find them with a humax 5400? i have tried to search for the channels using pids, but didnt find anithing.

I had the same problem with the Humax CI-8100PVR. It has a different architecture (NEO) compared with the 5400 (OAK).

I solved the problem uploading to the PC the settings from the receiver, modifying them with a settings editor and downloading from the PC to the receiver the new settings.

The settings I have used are the following:

bbci-pids.gif

The most important settings are in the columns 4 (Service ID or SID), 6, 7 and 8.

Hope this help.

Terramis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mljgmljg said:
Same problem here. I reckoned going back to MA1.3 might 'solve' the problem. It didn't.
I, too, am getting a bit bored having to try and fool the receiver into letting me watch a video channel - which is clearly video and not digits.

Re: Nokia 9800s MA2.0
One thing I noticed is that the screen does not blank when the EPG banner disappears before the decoder manages to lock onto the picture.

i.e. the banner comes up, the banner disappears, the picture comes up.
if it happens in any other order it doesn't work.

Therefore, it might help if you go into the User Prefs config and reduce the banner timeout to one second (the minimum). It might be all in my mind but I feel that this trick reduced the number of attempts I need to make before managing to get a channel.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Thanks for that Terramis, I shall give it a try and report back.

Regards,

Mark.