BBCi / Red Button question

C

Coca-Cooper

Do I need a phone line connected to my Digibox in order to get the BBCi services to work when I press the Red Button on my R/C??

Right now, I get the message:

This BBC Interactive Service is currently unavailable
Please try again later. (5001)

This happens on BBC News (News Multiscreen), as well as BBC 1,2,3,4 Cbeebies and CBBC. SKY News interactive works fine though.

This happens on both my Amstrad DRX-400 and Panasonic DSB20 boxes.

Any ideas?

PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Do I need a phone line connected to my Digibox in order to get the BBCi services to work when I press the Red Button on my R/C??
No. I have never had any of my boxes (Sony 750, various Amstrads, Pace 2200, 2300, 2500, minibox) connected to the phone and have used the service both in the UK and in France.

I don't know whether you need and FTV or expired $ly card for it to work but I wouldn't have thought so.

How long have you been trying to get the BBC interactive services? Where are you situated? I'm a bit stumped on this - try unplugging your digibox. You may need to try forcing a software update - if you go to services->4->5 (system details) what info is there (apart from viewing card number)?

PaulR

C

Coca-Cooper

I have an FTV card in both the Amstrad and Panasonic. I get the same problem with, and without the card installed.

I'm in Cyprus and get BBC and ITV (plus C4 and C5) with no problems.

I'm watching the match on BBC1 and BBCi services are working! But on CBeebies (!!) I get the same problem.

On both the Amstrad and Panasonic, I have these settings:

Operating System Version: 1.2S4F3
EPG Software Version: 3.2.11

PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Don't understand it at all. I've just been to CBeebies and there was a red button in the top right saying Play, which I did and got some games. One channel down on CBBC and pressing the red button worked OK.

Both your settings are up to date so I can only put it down to some vagaries in the satellite signal that BBCi is transmitted on. You must have pretty large dish to get 2D, possibly it needs some tweaking. Have you had some strong winds lately perhaps?

PaulR

C

Coca-Cooper

I think you're right that my problem must be at antenna level as both receivers are affected. I get 24/7 reception of BBC/ITV/C4/C5, but I can get the dish checked out to be sure.

Zorba

Zorba

My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
its posibble that the bbc interactive are on a vertical channel on 2D which cannot be received in Cyprus.bbc interactive used to be on the same frequency as radio2 and radio4.do you receive these?

billnot

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
I don't know if it's relevant, but many of the BBC interactive transmissions are on 12441V on the south beam - the same transponder as BBC radios 2 and 4.

C

Coca-Cooper

I can receive BBC Radio 1, but let me check Radio 2 and 4.

I didn't realise that some BBCi feeds were from 2D (I've always thought BBCi was from 2:cool:. Next time I should look-up Lingsat (D'oh!)

Cheers

C

Coca-Cooper

No problems receiving Radio 2 & 4.

It must be that the BBCi services for Cbeebies (!) are from 2D 10847V - which is also transmitting BBC Parliament, which I can't receive.

I guess it's just a matter of using the "Red Button" on BBC channels having BBCi services from 2B 12441V.