Becoming an installer...

R

Rd100

Go for it i started installing part time woth a guy who run a satellite shop in my town when i was about 15 before i went to collage & uni, Now i do work for a few big companys like SIS and arqiva, i still do home installs now and then for people but do it as a hobbie,

2cvbloke said:
Since getting into the satellite game I've been thinking about becoming an installer (when my backbone's fixed), seeing how it's more open then just building PC's for a living, and definately more interesting, and seeing how the possible future missus has just got a van I could nab that.... :D

So, are there any things to look into before becoming one, or should I just get a set of ladders, a drill and some tools and get busy?

All just one of my insane ideas that usually never happen.... :D

Muddler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird analogue Pace MSS100 clear and digital Fortec Lifetime Ultra FTA from 80 cm fixed dish.
My Location
East Midlands, UK.
Yea, go for it.....but if you need to make a living out of it, be prepared to climb ladders in the rain, snow and ice. Otherwise do it on a hobby basis where you can pick the time and wait for favourable weather conditions.

Your PC building experience will stand you in good stead when it comes to commissioning and programming receivers. Users are seldom able to cope with channels relocating to other frequencies and most handbooks that I have seen just make a complicated process impossible to understand. A certain amount of technocomprehension is very useful.

Good luck....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, I was thinking that the company I worked for (building PC's) want me back so much to do laptop repairs (cos I was the only one brave enough to strip 'em & study them etc), that as they had few lappys in for repair that maybe they could branch out into Satellite stuff too and I could be their advisor andoccasional installer, or I could just do it for myself on the side... ;)