Becoming an installer...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Since getting into the satellite game I've been thinking about becoming an installer (when my backbone's fixed), seeing how it's more open then just building PC's for a living, and definately more interesting, and seeing how the possible future missus has just got a van I could nab that.... :D

So, are there any things to look into before becoming one, or should I just get a set of ladders, a drill and some tools and get busy?

All just one of my insane ideas that usually never happen.... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Take out some good public liability insurance, or should the public be taking that out:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Topper said:
Take out some good public liability insurance, or should the public be taking that out:-rofl2

Scratch that idea then..... :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, whatever you do, it is a must to have PL insurance, £1,000,000 for domestic installations and £5,000,000 for anything remotely commercial.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Yep, whatever you do, it is a must to have PL insurance, £1,000,000 for domestic installations and £5,000,000 for anything remotely commercial.

Erm, to pay or the cover??? :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOl, that is the cover, don't know what it would cost for you, but probably around £300 for basic cover.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Join Sky, they'll have anyone.:-rofl2

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
I have publlic liability for £7 million for another trade and it costs just over £100 per year.... go for it mate, I would love to, where are you we could break things together.....:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
jimbo said:
Join Sky, they'll have anyone.:-rofl2

BOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING!!!! I want to do PROPER dishes!!!! Not those piddly little eyesores!!!!:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
I have publlic liability for £7 million for another trade and it costs just over £100 per year.... go for it mate, I would love to, where are you we could break things together.....:)

Says in my details on the left, Near Pendle Hill (East lancashire, near Burnley)...

Plus I have to wait to get my back sorted, can't officially do any lifting until it is all healthy again... :(

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Hello.

Funny this thread.. just started to get myself back on the installation ladder.. (excuse pun) been out of it for a year now.. did commercial before but decided that domestic is what i much prefer.. wish you good luck in what ever you do and hope your back enables you to fulfill your ddream :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
... and hope your back enables you to fulfill your ddream :)

My dream is to get paid to do nothing.... :D

Just like that fat MP, whassis name, no-one likes him, eats all the pies.... O-Ha

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
not sure I could work up there mmmmmm pedle witch bitter I might be a little drunk most of the time aiming for turksat and hitting hispasat ....well on 70* out whats that amongst friends lol

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
2cvbloke said:
BOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING!!!! I want to do PROPER dishes!!!! Not those piddly little eyesores!!!!:-rofl2

hows your head for heights ?? you can help our lads with these little 1.2's and if youre any good we might even let you try a some 2.4's or even 3's but its a bugger pulling them up to 100m in the tower though :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ouagadougou said:
hows your head for heights ?? you can help our lads with these little 1.2's and if youre any good we might even let you try a some 2.4's or even 3's its a bugger pull them up to 100m in the tower though :D

Ironically, not good... O-Ha

But it's only cos I never spend time up ladders.... :D

You not got a decent pulleyblock system??? :confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
not sure I could work up there mmmmmm pedle witch bitter I might be a little drunk most of the time aiming for turksat and hitting hispasat ....well on 70* out whats that amongst friends lol

I'm not much of a drinker myself, so I've not tried Pendle Witch Bitter before.... O-Ha

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
i'm pretty good at heights I can climb 3 steps on the step ladder...:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
i'm pretty good at heights I can climb 3 steps on the step ladder...:-rofl2

I can do all 8.... :p
(when setting up my porty dish at my mum's... :D )

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
You shouldnt really work more than two thirds up a set of steps for health and safey reasons.
J:)

2cvbloke said:
I can do all 8.... :p
(when setting up my porty dish at my mum's... :D )

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
streetlighter said:
You shouldnt really work more than two thirds up a set of steps for health and safey reasons.
J:)

Well, H&S only applies to businesses rather than an individual & his hobby.... :D
(but will take note of the advice though if I do get into the business...)