Beer on sale for £6.99 a half pint

N

net1

A new beer which costs as much as a good bottle of wine is due to go on sale in shops.

At £6.99 for a half pint, the beer, called Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, is more expensive than the average brew.

But Safeway, which is exclusively stocking the brand, claims despite its beer origins, it is best enjoyed at the end of a meal in the same way as port.

Adding to the difference is the fact that the first batch is designed to stay at its best until 2010 and its alcohol strength is 21%.

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout comes from a micro brewery in the US state of Delaware.

The list of ingredients used to make it include chocolate malt, roasted barley, rolled oats and rice hulls, followed by a seven- month fermentation process.

The first bottles have begun arriving on the shelves at Safeway and will eventually be sold in 220 stores across the UK.

Safeway beer expert Glenn Payne said: "This is a beer that demands respect and is quite simply a testament to the brewer's art. It is as far from 'session drinking' as can be imagined."

Sam Calagione, from the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Delaware, said: "I do creative work - I formulate beers. It is an opportunity to express myself, to create something that has not existed before. Off-centred beer for off-centred people."

Beer expert Michael Jackson, author of World Beers, said: "Dogfish Brewery has a different approach to brewing that is similar to that of wine-making. At whatever strength, they brew with a view to creating complex flavours."

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Had the dog fish offering (not stout) at the last Olympia Beer Festival

It really is as good as they say (my favourite by far), but at the festival it was £2.20 a pint - I think I had five or six of them , after two others - but I would not dream of spending £14 a pint for any beer, no matter how good

Net1 - what makes you think wine is as expensive as you say ? Ive yet to drink anything more than £7 a bottle, (and Ive sheen a few - hic!)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Then again, if a bottle comes my way from a fellow poster on this forum for 'evaluation', Ill gladly give it(them) my full attention

Cheers

N

net1

I guess the government will be getting the other £4.79 CH. Being a non drinker I couldn't for the life of me tell youthe price of a pint of beer although I know it's alot more expensive per gallon than petrol is.
LOL

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Net1 is right that a gallon of petrol is cheaper but have you ever tried drinking it. Back to the price of half a pint ,I had one (mybe two) in Moscow airport about five years ago and that was about £4.50.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In Stockholm about the same time a half of Guinness and a coke came to the equivalent of £10.50

Moscow is expensive though, try going further afield next time

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
CH you should beware, that coke is very expensive.
But as for staying away from Moscow I'm afraid I have no choice as my wife is Russian and comes from there,that is why I am so interested in Russian tv channels.
PS. I know this has nothing to do with satellite tv, except for the fact that most of us drink the stuff, but I was wondering if a link could be opened for members to talk about the truely great beers that they have had and where they brought them.
I love beer but for my life I cannot find a good beer near where I live, it is all tasteless, flat, and cold (enough to drive a man to vodka).
What do you think ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Rob, start a thread in this section, ask people what they think. Not a great beer connoisseur myself, now gone on the lighter fizzy stuff, but even that has its good and bad representations.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Rob, its difficult to advise somebody in trying something they will appreciate, without knowing what history they have regarding pleasant and rewarding brands and brews

Im quite partial to the original leaded myself, having syphoned a few tanks in my early days