Beginner Needing advice Good Rec/Triax/multi-lnb/etc

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi guys I hope you can help me out. I'm an absolute beginner.

I've got computer(s) networked with a router, mostly windows xp but one pc in linux if need be, but newbie when it comes to satellite stuff.

I havent bought anything yet, but I'm thinking of buying the following setup and would appreciate any suggestions or pointers to see if it all works together etc.

Here it is :):

Triax 4in1 multiblock £ 89.95 (are these good?)
Triax 88cm boxed £ 44.95 (Is this a good dish?)
Dreambox dm500 £ 159.00
Superjack dp6600 vbox 2 £ 64.95 (will this work with the motor?)
Jaeger 99 gold h-h mount £ 79.95 (was advised against diseqc so is this the right kind?)
Budget inclinometer £ 9.95

To be mounted on: 1 metre high ground stand (2")

I know I need some cable to go from box to dish..Do I need an actuator aswell?
Oh and does the Dreambox 500 work with a dragon cam etc and loader card(s)? Just in case I feel like the simple approach rather than use the emulators on it, or in case I decide to give it to my parents (theyre not into computer s). I am interested in recording to hd via the network, hence the above speel about the computers, but I would like it to be easy enough to use with off the shelf cams too.

I was thinking about the Fortecstar Ultimate, if the Dreambox 500 can't do the cam thing easily.

Hope that wasnt too many questions in one, hope I havent forgot anything...Isnt this exciting? :-)

Thanks!!

Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You seem to have a clash of products there, do you really want a multi lnb setup on a moving dish? It would only work when the dish is at one predetermined satellite.

All the other stuff seems OK, not a fan of that motor though, as I'm not convinced that is very much stronger than a DiseqC motor, requires a vBox for most receivers and costs more.

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi Rolf quick reply! I'm just going by what I think would be most flexible, would it be alright with just 1 LNB then?

If I went for diseqc, would I be adjusting it all the time on a windy day? That would allow me to forget about the vbox which would save some money. I'm pretty confused as to what I need to watch Sky at the same time aswell. Hmm..

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
tonguedv said:
Hi guys I hope you can help me out. I'm an absolute beginner.
Hi Dave, I am an expert at not knowing much about this sat stuff, but perhaps the benifit of my recent research can help you and avoid duplication of some questions. Also means I can help out on the forum as they have been very helpful to me recently ;)

Just keep the pinch of salt handy becuase none of my stuff has arrived yet so this is all based on theory from the forums...

tonguedv said:
Here it is :):

Triax 4in1 multiblock £ 89.95 (are these good?)
Triax 88cm boxed £ 44.95 (Is this a good dish?)
Dreambox dm500 £ 159.00
Superjack dp6600 vbox 2 £ 64.95 (will this work with the motor?)
Jaeger 99 gold h-h mount £ 79.95 (was advised against diseqc so is this the right kind?)
Budget inclinometer £ 9.95

To be mounted on: 1 metre high ground stand (2")
Erm, Aberdeen is a looonnngggg way north (I know, I have been there ;)) and I suspect you will need more than 88cm of dish (based on reading the channel guide in WOTSAT magazine) as your 57° North your quite a way out of the inteded reception area for some of the satellites you want.

As you note some regard Diseqc as not really man enough for the job and a bit gimmicky for "serious" dishes. Personally I am going this route as I am in the south (51°N vs your 57°) and only need a 80cm dish or so. I suspect (and I will leave it to those more experienced than me to comment) that you will need a big dish and hence a 36v acutator system would be better.

All I can say is that if you want to use it with a dreambox you would need to vBox to convert diseqc into 36v motor commands.

Oh and you can get dreambox cheaper than that by £20, check the company advertising on the forums that are based in Germany - seem to have had good feedback from quite a few members.

tonguedv said:
I know I need some cable to go from box to dish..Do I need an actuator aswell?
Oh and does the Dreambox 500 work with a dragon cam etc and loader card(s)? Just in case I feel like the simple approach rather than use the emulators on it, or in case I decide to give it to my parents (theyre not into computer s). I am interested in recording to hd via the network, hence the above speel about the computers, but I would like it to be easy enough to use with off the shelf cams too.

I was thinking about the Fortecstar Ultimate, if the Dreambox 500 can't do the cam thing easily.
Because the dream runs Linux, it is quite adaptable and extendable shall we say, meaning it can emulate under Linux some of the functions of card readers. In summary you would not need any cards - you can't use a CAM in the 500 as it has no CI slot as I understand it, and if you want to go this route perhaps you are better of with a different box with more of a mainstream slant.

You can record with the 500 to a PC somewhere on the same network, you can just mount the share on the DB and record to that, check the posts in the DM500 section for details.

Perhaps you should consider something like the Technomate 1500CI+ as this can be bothed patched, and work with CAM's etc, and can be considered a "normal" av appliance if you wanted to give it to the parents. I am not sure the DB falls into this category!!!

A final tip, this one from expereince, get some decent cable, you will find its cheaper to buy a whole 100m drum of cable (I got mine from www.tlc-direct.co.uk) for about £19 than trying to buy it by the meter. Make sure you get the kosher stuff as well with the foam inner (less chance of deforming as you stick it through walls etc). In fact here, is a link ;)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100B.html

Don't forget you need some plugs as well...

Good luck!

Paul.

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi Paul, Yes way up in cold windy Aberdeen ;) Thanks for the info! Well I did look at some stuff online that seemed to indicate I'd be fine with a 90cm dish, but to be honest even if this turns out not to be the case, theres no way I can get a bigger dish. I think 90 is pushing it as it is I'm afraid, got to keep everybody happy.

That is great about the 500 doing the PVR over the network, it is such a shame it doesnt have the CAM slot as this would make it almost perfect, I realise this is not needed on the machine, but, just wouldve been handy for technophobes.

Will the 7020 do what I'm wanting? I notice a site (dont know if I'm allowed to mention the name of the site on the forum) selling a Dreambox 7020 (without hd) package for a reasonable price, V box and 36V motor, 90cm Triax dish and the db7020 for just over 500 quid. Which seems it includes everything I need apart from the Mount. Oh and the hd of course, which I can supply without spending any cash, crucially.

It doesnt seem to include actuators so I'm guessing that's for another kind of setup. Thank you for reminding me about F plugs, I need a bigger bit of paper lol.

Dave

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Ok, Paul and everybody else interested, I just wanted to say I've decided on the 7020 kit from satellitesuperstore. So all I need now is the mount and an hd! I should have one kicking about somewhere......200gb Maxtor out of my playstation 2 should do nicely (it was cheap), or if I must, I could use my super quiet 80gb Seagate baracuda (in the pc I'm using now).

I've heard some say it's difficult with this receiver, and some say it's easy. We'll see! I do have a fair amount of windows knowledge and I'm completely comfortable in a windows environment. The same can't quite be said for my comfort level in Linux. ..But.. just the other day I managed to get slackware up and running in XFCE (with no sound!), so.... maybe it's all falling into place :)

At least with going for this kit, I know everything is matched and should fit together.....
I believe theres an improvement in the LNB I get with this kit (0.3d:cool:, over the multi lnb ones I was going to buy before I decided on this kit (0.6d:cool:. Lower is better right? even with a 90 cm Triax I'm guessing....

Anyway, Just wanted to say the decisions been made now and I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. I'll no doubt put a good number of posts in the next few days or so ;)

Thanks guys, I'll be going through this ordeal about the same time as you Paul with any luck :)