Beginner: Wants sattellite system to watch premership football

MarkRay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Bolton
Hello,

I am looking into buying a Satellite system to watch premership football (Mainly Manchester United). I current have NTL which I will be keeping as this has all the SKY channels. I live in the manchester area and need a system to pick up the matches not currently shown on SKY. I have been looking into the dreambox systems as I am faitly good with computers (I do computer programming as my Job) and I have already set up a Cable DBOX. I have been looking on the following web site http://w*w.satellitesuperstore.com/dreambox.htm[/url] they have some dreambox complete systems. The one I was thinking of was the DreamBox 7020-s, Triax Td 88 90cm System £549.95. I would go for a bigger dish but I believe you need planning permission and not sure how easy this is to get. Please can you tell me if this is a good system and a good price for what you get.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

the_wizzz

Slightly biased Technomate Seller
Reaction score
for premiership matches, subscribe to ART card and use a Technomate TM-1500CI+ as you can put the card into the built in cam in the receiver (so you save money on buying a cam!)

MarkRay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Bolton
Ok thanks for all your replies.

I have been looking into the different cards you can get eg the ART CARD and some others. Am I correct that I would need a dragon cam for the dreambox to use the ART cards. I could not really afford the dreambox + cam + cards.

Here is a new system that I am looking at. Tell me what you think

The 90cm Channel Master heavy duty high gain dish with big 1224 supermount horizon to horizon motor and 0.3 dB LNB £299.95
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors2.htm

(How hard is it to get planing permission for over 1m dish and what extra whould a 1m dish give me. It is not that much more expensive to get a bigger dish).

Wall Mount Around £80

Technomate TM 1500 CI+ 109.99

ART Card = £90

Total of £ 579.94

Is there anything else I would need.

Also a bit worried about buying an ART card as it sounds like some people think that they are going to remove football from the Satellite we can see from the UK. Are all Manchester United games shown on the ART channels and is there no other way of getting all manchester united games.

Thanks Mark.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
with the Dreambox, you won't need a physical CAM. You can emulate with software.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
MarkRay said:
Ok thanks for all your replies.

I have been looking into the different cards you can get eg the ART CARD and some others. Am I correct that I would need a dragon cam for the dreambox to use the ART cards. I could not really afford the dreambox + cam + cards.

Here is a new system that I am looking at. Tell me what you think

The 90cm Channel Master heavy duty high gain dish with big 1224 supermount horizon to horizon motor and 0.3 dB LNB £299.95
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors2.htm

(How hard is it to get planing permission for over 1m dish and what extra whould a 1m dish give me. It is not that much more expensive to get a bigger dish).

Wall Mount Around £80

Technomate TM 1500 CI+ 109.99

ART Card = £90

Total of £ 579.94

Is there anything else I would need.

Also a bit worried about buying an ART card as it sounds like some people think that they are going to remove football from the Satellite we can see from the UK. Are all Manchester United games shown on the ART channels and is there no other way of getting all manchester united games.

Thanks Mark.
Order your ART card from Holland,they come from N. Africa and are ok
the Satellite covers half of Europe,and there are a lot of Arab speaking people in Europe,who only watch ART,when you look at the appartment blocks in Amsterdam and the Hague,all the balconies in the Arab quaters have dishes,and that in a country that has a brillient cable system.

MarkRay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Bolton
Due to the fact I won £7.5k at poker last night I am looking at getting a better system.

How about the Channel master 90cm dreambox 7020-s with super mount £719.95 from
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dreambox.htm

Can anymone tell me what the differance is from buying the channel master £299.95 from http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors2.htm
and then adding the dreambox for a total of £629.90 from the same place.

I have read on this forum that art cards bought from Holland (Noth American card) would expire as they are actived while still on the shelf. Not sure how true this statment is maybe you somone confirm that it will work.

For anyone who got planning permission for the dishes over 1m how do you go about getting it. Never got planing permission for anything. Has anyone ever been refused planning permission who have applied for it.

Thanks Mark.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
MarkRay said:
For anyone who got planning permission for the dishes over 1m how do you go about getting it. Never got planing permission for anything. Has anyone ever been refused planning permission who have applied for it.

Before you purchase a 1m dish go and see your local authority planning department who will get you to fill in an application form.

They will charge you a fee and then contact your neighbours who will have the right to object (they need grounds to do this). The process can take some time and people have been refused.

or

You could put up the dish and wait for a complaint.

The deals you mention sound expensive to me... but then I don't have that kind of money to play with - if only!

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi Markray

Take a look at L.J.'s football website. I have T*P*Sfoot and T*P*Sstar on my 7020 dreambox no cams or cards to buy!
They are on Hotbird so you only need a small dish.
Watched ManU & ManC last week-end and looking forward to Liverpool next sunday.

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
moteck 2100, Lidl 80cm dish
My Location
UK
whatsthis said:
Hi Markray

Take a look at L.J.'s football website. I have T*P*Sfoot and T*P*Sstar on my 7020 dreambox no cams or cards to buy!
They are on Hotbird so you only need a small dish.
Watched ManU & ManC last week-end and looking forward to Liverpool next sunday.

I'm new too, and want to see some live footie.
Could I get these channels (T*P*Sfoot and T*P*Sstar ) with a PC Satellite TV card (DVB-S), without CI and CAMS. Plus a small dish, or would I need more equipment than this.
Thanks
Woody

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci + 1000d super +
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
ally you need is skystar 2 tv card with 60- 80cm dish and your be alble to watch at least 3 of the 3pm games on sat and all the sunday + midweek

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
My Location
UK
pothead13 said:
ally you need is skystar 2 tv card with 60- 80cm dish and your be alble to watch at least 3 of the 3pm games on sat and all the sunday + midweek

I've ordered a Skystar 2, now I need to find a new dish.
I'll probably need some help setting it all up though ;)
Woody

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
woodlouse said:
I'll probably need some help setting it all up though ;)
Woody

We're not going anywhere... :D

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
My Location
UK
pothead13 said:

What satellites do I need to be looking at to get the footie broadcasts??
Thanks
Woody

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Depending on how you are going to go about it, 13E and 30W are the best two ATM.

If you're going SS2/S2emu/Krasnal, then they will do nicely.

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Depending on how you are going to go about it, 13E and 30W are the best two ATM.

If you're going SS2/S2emu/Krasnal, then they will do nicely.

Hmm, Those 2 sound a long way apart.
Unfortunately I am restricted by spouse, neighbours, finances, conservation area status, and the need to maintain family s*ybox signal, to having one fixed dish.
I think I am restricted to a 60cm dish, but could probably get away with a 70cm elliptical (I was looking at Raven Gemini 70).
Using multiple lnb's (one for s*ybox and two for me) I think I could cover 13E ok but 30W??
I guess this will restrict my scope.
What footie is available with the above set up?
Btw SS2 arrived today and is up and running with progdvb (just getting s*y fta at present) but its working fine.
Thanks
Woody

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I was hoping you meant 1 fixed dish as well as your $ky dish...

If not, then you might have a few problems dragging in 28.2E ($ky location) and 13E on one small dish... You may just do it on a 70cm like the Gemini. You can forget Hispasat 30W however, which is a shame as it's full of goodies ATM inc. movies etc.

Retaining your $ky dish and adding a 60cm dish for either Hotbird or Hispasat is your best option IMHO. Depending on your situation, you might even try and go a bit smaller.

The 2nd dish can be at ground level as long as it has line of sight, and can be painted green to blend in with any garden cover etc. if that helps in your quest for footy nirvana.

If you're deffo restricted to 1 dish, you may have to motorise a 60-70cm and lose your $ky reception for the duration of the games etc. Always park back at 28.2E when you're done, especially overnight to receive $ky, plus OTA updates.

Congrats on getting your SS2 up and running so easily. No point fiddling with mods to it until you have Hotbird or Hispasat capability.

Things change in the murky world of satellite though. Astra 19.2E may well come back into the footy equation soon, and that would be do-able in tandem with 28.2E on a small single dish. If you go for 28.2E and 13E on (say) the Gemini and get it working, then stick and LNB in the middle for 19.2E as a bonus.

STICK

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
The 2nd dish can be at ground level as long as it has line of sight, and can be painted green to blend in with any garden cover etc. if that helps in your quest for footy nirvana.

STICK
My nearest bit of open garden space is about 50 metres away. Could I use a feed cable that long or would it lose strength/quality?
And could I bury the cable in the ground?
Would I need an additional cable to control/supply a motorised dish or is it all done via the coax??
Thanks again
Woody

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you use decent coax, 50m is no problem at all. All power for the motor goes down the existing coax directly from the receiver (SS2 in this case), and yes you can bury it, but I'd advise running it down some cheap and preferably watertight plastic conduit or similar as you don't really want it lying in water or wet ground.

woodlouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2,
Fortecstar Passion HD,
My Location
UK
I've bought another dish which is temporily mounted in a garden umbrella stand on the kitchen's flat roof, a bit heath robinson but it seems stable enough.
Getting Hotbird OK
Did someone mention "footie nirvana"??;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hey, you're talking to Mr Robinson Snr... I had my dish balanced on a motocross tyre by a washing line prop and some gaffer tape for a few weeks in the summer :D

You can get some nice patio stands which you stabilise by slotting paving slabs into the base. If the roof is pukka that might prove to be a permanant fix for you.