Beginner

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The MSS series are all good and generally the higher the number, the better the box from a specification point of view, can you provide a link to that search page?

I would guess that the MSS300i would be the better spec', but i would like to have a look at it. the 100 was a different, more space age shape, but not better.

Just had a look Lech, I would go for the 200 or 300, but make sure that it has a remote, they can be found, but the unit is practically inoperable without it.

This one is better than them all Link to MSS1000

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Here's a link to a good site all about analogue satellite that might be helpfull. It also lists what's available on several different satellites as well as astra 1.

http://www.analoguesat.co.uk/

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thanks for the link Prodave. The site has useful information for me.

And Rolf, thanks for the tip. I got the receiver for £31 including delivery. Not bad, I think. I had a look around sites on the internet and when they mention second hand sales of this item they quote about £40-£50.

Now, just wait for all the stuff to come together and I should have a set up. (Damn, cable and lnb came today but nobody was in the house – doesn’t really matter though because my friend still hasn’t taken down the dish for me – very high up, needs extra long ladder).

Thanks again,
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Good to hear its all coming together Lech, looking forward to hearing about the successful installation.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
My brother just called me from a car boot sale and he get get a pace prd 800 for £5. That would be the third receiver - why not?

Is it worth the price?

I need a reply quick if possible.

Thanks
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that its the old design, so no is the simple answer its Too Olde. :)

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Another amateur question

I’ve got all the stuff through except the dish, and I have just finished fitting F-connectors (according to the guide at http://www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/fconn.htm) to a shorter piece of very high quality coaxial cable that was left over from an aerial installation. It will be used to connect between the LNB and a receiver on top of a portable TV when fitting the dish.

How far should I screw the f-connector onto the LNB input? Does it have to go all the way? As things are, it screws on about half way by hand. Should it be forced on all the way? Is this the same for the “receiver end”?

Thanks,
Lech

More stupid questions undoubtedly to follow… (but this LNB was quite expensive)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The F connector should be screwed on finger tight, there should be no play on the barrel of the plug where it joins the moving screw section.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The F connector consists of two pieces, the barrel that threads onto the cable and the threaded nut which screws onto the LNB. These two should fell like they are one unit when properly sgcrewed onto the LNB. If the connector is not properly screwed home, you will find that when holding the LNB, the barrel and cable can still be moved slightly, one cause of this can be an overlong core wire, thus preventing the connector screwing fully home.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Finally, I got the dish and I am nearly ready to go – just waiting for the weather to clear. This is taking forever, but it should be done properly thanks to all your help.

I’ve taken the task of setting up the receivers beforehand to save time later, and have so-far set up to channels on the Amstrad (using http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/astra1_19e.html for the frequencies). However, I am not sure about the LNB set-up. The twin LNB has a sticker that says 10.7-12.75Ghz. So what frequency should I set to on the LNB set-up screen? In the manual it talks about two frequencies, 10Ghz and 9.750Ghz, saying the smaller one is for an “enhanced Astra LNB”.

Thanks,
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Lech, the ideal setting would be for universal, but if it doesn't have that option, use the enhanced setting 9.750Ghz, as that is the lower band setting of the universal LNB.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since all analogue channels are on the low band on Astra 1, you are not likley ot miss those that transmit on the high band unless you move the dish about , (main ones being the French to the West and PIK Cyprus on Sirius), the only ones you will miss out nearby 19East would be Hotbird Greek ET1, Portugal RTP and Hungary MTV2

Once you have a digital box in line then these will come in with the new receiver driving the LNB up to the desired band

Good to hear its all comng together

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Okay. Will that give a decent picture, or not?

So what does universal mean exactly? I thought it was just that the lnb can switch from Horizontal to vertical polarisation.

Thanks,
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No Lech, the term universal I believe applies to the fact that it can replace separate Low band and High band LNBs, it can switch between the lowband local oscillator of 9.750Ghz and the High band Local oscillator of 10.6Ghz, this enables a wider range of frequency reception than would normally be available with a single band LNB. The H and V switching is common to both types of LNB and is controlled by voltage switching, the High/Low is controlled by a 22Khz tone switch.

Yes, this should give you as good a picture as the receiver is capable of.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thanks CH, I just got your post after replying to Rolf’s post.

I think I’m beginning to understand.

So let me see if I got this right (please tell me). The very high frequency signal entering the LNB is converted to a lower frequency of about 10GHz, and the receiver converts further down to between 1-2Ghz.

How does the process work? Has this got something to do with C- and Ku- band?

So will the channel frequencies be different to the ones I’ve set when the LNB frequency is set to 9.750Ghz? (I ask because the manual mentions different channels on the same frequency with different LNB frequencies).

Thank you,
Lech

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Nearly right

The Satellite transmits on two frequency bands. The LNB can receive both but one at a time only

The LNB converts both bands down to a frequency suitable fo the cable indoors, 950-2150 MHz, and the receiver then is able to scan all frequecies via the tuner to give the desired programme or data

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thank you very much CH, Rolf - my knowledge of satellite communication is growing - hopefully I will be able to help other beginners in the forum soon.

If you have time to answer this one: what does the FSS and DBS stand for in the Frequency Band names, e.g. 9.750 FSS Low, 10.000 FSS High, 10.750 DBS. (Saw these in the Pace 1000 manual)

Thanks again,
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Wouldn't worry too much about the initials Lech, that will probably be the last time you see them, as they do not tend to be used on digital receivers.

The FSS LNBs tended normally to be 10Ghz low band LNBs and DBS were Higher 10.75Ghz, you may also see reference to Telecom 11Ghz LNBs, but really the standard now is the universal 2 band.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Mission accomplished!!!

I just finished installing the dish with my friend. This is the best analogue picture I’ve ever seen – it looks remarkably close to the quality of digital terrestrial.

Thank you all for your help, I couldn’t have done it otherwise – or at most the set up would be no way as good as it is now and it wouldn’t have been as much fun.

I am very happy – finally I can learn German – but I am also very tired right now – running backwards and forwards, undoubtedly you all know.

Thanks again. I hope I will be able to help someone soon.

Lech