Beginner

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Delighted to hear of the success Lech, it really is very satisfying to set up one's first satellite system. You do realise though, its a long slippery slope from now on. :)

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Originally posted by absoluteb

I am very happy – finally I can learn German – but I am also very tired right now – running backwards and forwards, undoubtedly you all know.

That is the good thing about germany, most of their channels are FTA, it would be nice if BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 would follow the german sat-tv style.

The german channels ProSieben, Sat1, RTL, RTL2, Kabel1 and Vox shows pretty good movies sometimes, and ARD/Das Erste often shows James Bond in german.

Have fun learning german!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Germans really do have my vote when it comes to standing up for their quality TV for free

Us sheep over here have simply offered our cheque books to one company, and sat back as the money is sucked out the account

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I’ve just been enjoying satellite TV, but Rolf is right, I am already thinking what to do next.

By the way, on the Pace MSS 1000 receiver there are two options in a channel’s audio configuration that I don’t know how to set. They are De-emphasis (options: Panda, J17, 75us and 50us) and Bandwidth (options: 130kHz, 180kHz, 200kHz, 280kHz, 380kHz). The sites I’ve seen that list frequencies, including LyngSat, don’t seem to specify these for the individual channels. The reason why I ask about this is because the music channels (MTV, MTV 2 POP, VIVA, VIVA+) sound a little distorted some of the time and I don’t know what the correct settings are for these.

Thanks,
Lech

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, had exactly the same problem in the analogue days, I seem to remember setting the German channels to Panda, with Wegener being a noise reduction system that was used as well. Go with the one that works best, I'm sure some of the guys here will have some better information for you though.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I managed to find out what was causing the distortion – the sound level used was set to full base. I’ve fixed this, but I am still interested in knowing the correct values for De-emphasis and Bandwidth.

Thanks,
Lech

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Audio bandwidth is normally default at 280kHz and above for mono signals and 180kHz or less for stereo

De-emphasis is 75uS on almost all but Arabic and French transmissions where J17 is preferred

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There you go Lech, told you someone would know :)

@ CH, I seem to remember one of my receivers having Panda, was that a stereo mode?

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thanks.

According to the Pace mss1000 its a "de-emphasis" mode, along with the others mentioned.

Lech

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
My first receiver had true Wegener PANDA stereo. Without that you were nobody LOL.

Jimbo :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough, I've just had a look at my Chaparral and that has Panda, with Wegener noise reduction, must plug it in again one day. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Panda was the form of Wegener noise reduction that (I think) offered a cheaper Thomson one chip solution.

Many receivers had it, but only those that paid the Wegener company the royalties on a per machine basis were allowed the priviledge of having the Panda logo

Many companies had the same chip inside (Echostar for example) and openly advertised the fact in promo leaflets and magazine inserts, but could not state it in the manual or on the box/machine

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I’ve come to the realisation that when channels are changed on one receiver there is ‘flickering’ on the picture of the other receiver. Is this the fault of the Twin LNB? I’m assuming that the flickering is due to the tone that changes polarisation, but the two connections on the LNB are suppose to be completely separate. Could it be that the tone from one receiver is too strong (but don’t forget I’m using very long cables – about 40m each)

This is also a little strange because I can’t remember it happening before I started to re-run the cable (the initial cable-run was just temporary). I don’t suppose it could have anything to do with this – the two cables are now very close together. (I don’t know much about electromagnetism).

By the way, apart from this, the picture is unbelievable – I won’t be switching to digital for the improvement in quality.

Thanks,
Lech

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It could well be the pulse sent down the cable which is used to chanbge polarity of the incoming signal. A 4 volt rise or drop in voltage will have an asociated magnetic pulse due to (looking back into the depths of my school days in what is now an Emmental styled brain) Flemings Left hand rule

If its worrying you then simply run a loose length of cable on one run to check if it goes away

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I was thinking along those lines too, but would it really cause that effect. I was also planning to run an already present electrical cable with the two coaxial cables - this would probably cause more disruption. The three cables had all ran quite close from the beginning but not as close as the two coaxial cables are running at the “house-end” at the moment (they are covered by double clips).

Is it more likely that it’s the fault of the LNB, but I assume it has internal shielding between the two “whatever a twin-LNB” has that gives separate outputs. On that note, where could I find out about the components/structure of an LNB?

The reason I am still enquiring as oppose to pulling down and separating the cables is because I have done a good job of the cable run so far and I want to be sure first.

It’s a shame I’m not sure whether this happened before I ran the cables so close together.

Lech

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I have a twin lnb Grundig 0.6. feeding 1 digibox in the lounge and one in the bedroom,to watch motors tv in the lounge i have to switch on the bedroom digibox,if i dont ,the lounge digibox says no signal being received.I realise this is the analogue forum,but the problem is very similar.........................Brian
ps,i only have a ftv card,and with my limited channels i think this is the only channel this happens to..

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If you have a fax number Absoluteb I can send you the schematics of sigles, twins and quads from a Korean supplier

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I’ve investigated further and found that only the Amstrad SRD 700 causes the flickering only when changing between polarities (the Pace MSS 1000 does not). Is there any solution (except buying another box) that I can try? It seems that the tone sent by the SRD 700 is very strong and this causes the interruption.

Thanks CH. I do not have a fax line, but I can accept the fax if you could send it at a specified time.

By the way, is £9 about the standard price for a roll of self-amalgamating tape? (I need to re-run some of the cable).

Lech