Bent/creased Satellite Dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Hi peeps. Sorry if I've posted this in the incorrect section, but here we go anyway.

I've been give a dish which has got quite a nasty bend in it.
Got delivered quite a few years ago from a company in the Leicester area and hasn't been looked at since. Can take a pic of it, but when you look straight down vertically from the top of the dish. the top part is straight and the bottom right lines up fine but the bottom left is well off and pushed forward towards the focal point. It's ok on the west sats but the east is well off on a motor.
If you look hard you can also see a crease on the face. I'm not saying it's the supplier's fault, more than likely the delivery company's.

Would really appreciate it if any of you experts could advise me as to how the dish can be straightened up without damaging it even more.

Thanks
Hixxy

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What size is it? It is possible - I know several people that have done it but whether it's worth the time is for you to decide.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
A picture is worth a thousand words,post one if you can please.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
It's a Triax TD90. Will upload a pic thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I straightened out two 80cm no name dishes a few years ago - one had been bent double!

I stripped all the associated bracketry off leaving just the face. An hour of time using molegrips to bend the rim back into shape, and lots of gentle pressure around the rim pulled it back quite nicely

Its still in use today on 53E and works fine. :)

That was when I was broke, not sure Id bother these days as dishes have come down in price since then..

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Most metal dishes will be able to be pulled back into shape and the proof is to place them face against a known flat surface (a glass patio door or dining room table for example)

The problem with the - later - Triax units is the feed arm is riveted on and the 'table test' offers about 80% certainty, the rest has to be done by eye, or if you are good with one, a squarker meter.

dardruba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Win7/Firefox
85cm Transparent dish and 3 dual LNB's 13,19,28

One diseqc to PC and Sky Star 2, and a diseqc to
Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Fylde Coast in West Lancs
There was a procedure, with pictures, on this very topic in a recent Wotsat mag. Can't tell you which month.
I scroll thru the pages in Smiths. It may be in wotsat.techradar.com

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
it is possible to straighten the Dish .... not a rocket science..... do it in the same way like with any other metal object ( car wing for Example) ..... just to make sure that dish geometry is the same as the original.... but I believe after fix it will be amended anyway and it is time consuming.... I would make it only if it is some kind of SPECIAL dish :)

besides you can buy TD 110 TYPE (most of TD dishes are clones now and coming from turkey, because Triax not producing TD dishes for few years) of dish starting from 35 including delivery .... I would just buy the new one.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Midlands
Thanks for the good advise everyone. Will have a go sometime and let you know the results.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
<br /><br />besides you can buy TD 110 TYPE (most of TD dishes are clones now and coming from turkey, because Triax not producing TD dishes for few years) of dish starting from 35 including delivery .... I would just buy the new one.<br />
<br /><br />Can you back up that claim

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
Hi!
I seen it in several places over internet some time ago..... for now is difficult to say where exactly..... but I think it wasn't in English internet.
I it a good request to back up my claim.... because I do not want just to spread rumours I wrote an email today to Triax and waiting for their reply

thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Damn it I just edited my post above using tapatalk and its gone wrong.

I have been buying triax dishes from a major wholesaler for triax for the last 2 to 3 years , so as far as I know that still make them. Pity I was at the triax stand yesterday at a trade show, I could have asked them.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
hi!
I'm still waiting for the Reply from Triax..... I do not know really why such a simple question takes so much time to answer
I checked their product catalogue and from TD series they produce TDS and TDA...... if I'm not mistaken before they introduced TDA they had only TD from steel (correct me if I'm wrong) (+ TDE I think).
and I believe new dishes should be marked as TDS not TD........ (not so sure what the differences..... or it is just renaming )

P.S what I can say for sure there are Triax type dishes on the market (they are almost identical [arm fixing to the dish is even better, but a bit different]) and they twice cheaper then Triax
all you have to do to sell them more then double of price just to label as Triax on the package

P.P.S they differ from Triax Bulk order dishes as well I bought one for my friend white colour, while Triax using for Bulk dark grey

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
TDS = Steel

TDA = Aluminium

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Exactly - there would have been no need for the S to indicate Steel construction if that were the only material used at the time. Hobson's choice.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
agee m8 - but the should use a new marking for now - aren't they?

instead you can still see dishes marked as just TD :)

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
hi!
I have to bring some certainty to what I started.
I have a reply form Triax ....TDS dishes they produce for for now are the same as old TD.... but they still use TD marking on their retail package...
So my statement about "most TD dishes are clones was misleading" ... sorry about that...

another fact I found out what could be interested for others and was surpise for myself is that Gibertini dishes are for now produced by Triax as well
Gibertini sold the OP125L to a company in Germany called Hirschmann
Hirschman were bought by Triax

for whatever reason Triax does not want fully include them into their catalogues and dishes are sold by the name "Triax/Hirschmann Fesat 120"... but for now the dish a bit different from old Gibertini OP125L .... Arm is a bit different for now....

this info is 100% Genuine and confirmed to me by Gibertini

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the TD issue was always clear, but the info about Gibertini is not something I was aware of.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
good you didn't banned me, but just a warning points..... otherwise you would miss that info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.