VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
hi guys...

can someone suggest the BEST coax cable to use for diseqc motor?

thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
Useful info here about cable-

[_http://www.your-book.co.uk/cable.htm

I'm using WF100 from sat cu re, nice thick braid very easy to put the correct connectors on.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
wf100 is fine for use under 30metre run over that use wf125 cable

on mine i use wf100

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
thanks guys.....20m of wf100 for 10 uk pounds (15 euros) sound ok?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yeah sounds about right

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
justr after the best quality,,,,,,I only need 15 meters....so ill buy some.....cheers.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
thought id add on this 1, i bought some coaxial cable the other day from my local wilko's, i was with a mate who said it should be ok to use with my satellite system.

Now my system is totally set up but the cable isnt long enough to go around the wall in my room, currently i have it going straight accoss the floot, will it really matter all that much what type of coaxial cable i use? its only for 3meters or so.

If it does really matter then i can always change it if needbe for a better cable.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
not really just get one of them premade leads for sat cable extensions from b&Q or argos

PLANTPOT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 mtr channel master
1224 motor
Technomate 1500+
Still in the garage,not had a chance to put it up yet :-)
Also 90cm channel master fixed
My Location
SW France
When you say it isn't long enough,are you referring to the cable from your dish to the receiver or from receiver to tv?
It is not advisable to use standard coax aerial cable anywhere from the dish to receiver,it is just not made to handle digital satellite signals and will suffer severe signal loss and interference.
You can use std coax from receiver to tv,but again would always recommend sat coax,as it is better insulated against interference.
if I have misunderstood your post and you are using sat cable,but just want to extend it you can use an inline f connector joiner available from almost anywhere.-PP

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
na plantpot i can see where you are coming from.

Just this mate of mine seems to think he knows it but he hasnt really researched it properly.

I did buy normal aerial cable because according to him "aslong as the copper bit is in the middle thats all what matters".

Anyways theres a shop in the UK which sells white satellite cable at 30p/meter and it says satellite cable where as the on i bought just said coaxial cable suitable for freeview etc.

thanks for the post plantpot and from receiver to TV i use scart i dont use coaxial, is that better to use cable from receiver to tv or wont it make a difference?

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
In fact, I don't know any coaxial cable specialized for the satellites. I'm buying What Hi-Fi?
Hi-Fi Choice, and these kind of mags. and in this mags there are different type of tests on different type of cables. And at the end of the mags there are info’s and inquiries, sites and ... where you can find your cable site and click on your favorite cable and read the review of the people.

**** I'm not sure it'll be true for sat cables too. Give it a try.

Arbi.

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
Sharkadder said:
na plantpot i can see where you are coming from.

Just this mate of mine seems to think he knows it but he hasnt really researched it properly.

I did buy normal aerial cable because according to him "aslong as the copper bit is in the middle thats all what matters".

Anyways theres a shop in the UK which sells white satellite cable at 30p/meter and it says satellite cable where as the on i bought just said coaxial cable suitable for freeview etc.

thanks for the post plantpot and from receiver to TV i use scart i dont use coaxial, is that better to use cable from receiver to tv or wont it make a difference?

in all the years ive been fitting satellite dishes and aerials when people have phoned me up about paterning on the screen it has always been down to white coax it is rubish stuff i wont touch it at all and ive been at it since 1980

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
aba said:
in all the years ive been fitting satellite dishes and aerials when people have phoned me up about paterning on the screen it has always been down to white coax it is rubish stuff i wont touch it at all and ive been at it since 1980

I agree, using coax cable that is poorly screened may cause interference on screen, especially for normal TV aerials. I have just changed all mine for WF100, which incidently comes in black, brown and WHITE.

The trouble with getting coax from retail shops is that no data is normally provided with it. You can't tell the quality by just looking at the colour of the outer sheathing surely?

PLANTPOT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 mtr channel master
1224 motor
Technomate 1500+
My Location
SW France
As a general rule,you need to use satellite coax cable anywhere on your setup,and certainly from dish to receiver,go for a foam filled and not semi air spaced.
yes you will get a better performance via scart from receiver to tv,but if you need to run the signal to a 2nd tv use sat cable and not std aerial cable.
Depends how much you need but you can get 100mtr roll (PF100) for 27-50 +vat from your local TLC direct.
Colour of outer sheath is purely cosmetic,most peeps prefer white indoors as it blends in better with most decor.-PP

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
You cant go wrong with Televés!

altis

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MYOB
My Location
MYOB
The best cable?

How about some RG11U such as Belden 7999AP.

;)

R

Rd100

WF100 & WF125 should not be used outside as they have pvc sheath, My self (At home & at broadcast mast sites) i use televes & andrews andrew heliax cable rg6 & rg11 which have pure copper core and copper braid and have polyethylene sheath unlike webro that have pvc,

But the best cable is the one you get for free lol,

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
hmm i thought wf100/125 was for use outside with the center being foam filled to avoid water getting in

PLANTPOT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 mtr channel master
1224 motor
Technomate 1500+
My Location
SW France
Wod,I agree m8.
Any foam filled cable is suitable for outdoor use.
As for RG6,one of the cheapest you can get,and not recommended for digital satellite use,and certainly not outdoor use,only advantage is low cost.
Ok for running rf output to additional tvs indoors but not much use for anything else.
Thicker 125 grade cables are best for longer runs,but in most cases not needed.
I use pf100 on a run of about 50 mtrs with excellent results._PP

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is huge confusion over RG6, the RG6 imported from the USA is very high quality, the majority of RG6 cable sold in the UK is cheap and nasty.

WF100 and 125 are perfectly suitable for external use, that is what they are sold for. They may not be up to broadcast quality and specification, but then again, those types of cable are over spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.