Best Dvb Card for Multidec

D

djc53320661

Hi

Which card would be best for the above.

I have been looking at the Skystar 1 and Win DVB-S 1.3. Whats SCPC reception and so I realy need it as it says that the Win DVB-S does not support it ?

I am ideally looking for one with a loopthrough as I have a Skystar 2 in my other PC which I use for Eol (soon to be Netsystem) and would like to be able to connect both without having to pull cable in and out of each machine every time I want to do use a different service. Or is there some sort of special Sat equipment where I could split the feed, so I could get one with a single lnb input ?

At the moment I have a Skystar Zone 2 dish and really want to try and setup with Astra (which I'm on at the mo) and Hotbird. Would I be able to buy a Monolock to fit due to the different arm ? I found one web site with the MTI Monoblock and it says it will fit any dish ? Or do I need new equipment :(

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting myself confused looking at all the differnt configurations and options.

Also I am based in Yorkshire, UK

Again any help would be great :)

Chris

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jul-02 AT 07:33 AM (GMT)]Hi Chris, I believe the cards that are Multidec compatible are all based on the same board, the Samsung I believe. That being the case, if the DVBs doesnt support single channel transmissions then possibly the others won't either.

With regard to the loopthrough, I have in the past found them troublesome, particularly if you may on occasions wish to use both at the same time. A simple A+B switch would suffice, but obviously has a small insertion loss. A twin LNB would be better, then you could serve both receivers, you can also use the twin with an offset bracket, along with a single on Hotbird for the multidec.

The Monoblock LNB will further complicate things, and also will not fit the Zone 2 Sky Minidish, (if that's what you have), you will in any case probably need an 80cm to give you enough grunt to pull in Hotbird.

Rolf

D

djc53320661

Thanks Rolf for your quick reply.

Yeah I had a feeling that I needed a new dish/lnb.

If I got new equipment which would be my best setup to receive as many Satellites as possible, whats the dishes with the different lnb holder arms like ? If I got a new dish I'd like to be able to pick up a many satellites as possible without having to go motorised.

Thanks again

Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Bear in mind Chris that once you get to more than 2 LNBs on a dish, the performance diminishes on the outer satellites. Also the price of 3 or 4 LNBs can be more than a DiseqC H to H unit, which of course would give you the full benefits of the dish size on all satellites.

Rolf

D

djc53320661

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jul-02 AT 04:47 PM (GMT)]Rolf

Ok, something for me to think about if I decide to replace my existing dish with a motorised one.

Sorry, another question, the position of the dishes on my house are south facing, would I be able to place the motorised dish on the wall ok and receive all available sats ? Also whats the smallest dish size I'd get away with for motorised ? (think I read on here a 1.2m).

For the time being, I am thinking would I be able to use the redundant Zone 1 dish for the 19.2 Astra signals and use my Zone 2 dish for the Hotbird ? If this was possible how would I be able to merge both Lnb cables to be able to select which I want to use at my receiver end, is there some sort of device I could buy ?

Thanks

Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jul-02 AT 07:43 PM (GMT)]The zone 2 dish should be OK for hotbird, you could install a DiseqC switch at the dish which would be switchable from the Skystar 1, but you'd still have a slight problem getting a signal for the Internet card. I havent tried it, but I'm sure it would be possible to rig another minidish LNB at an offset for the 19.2 TV, then you could use the Zone 1 minidish exclusively for internet.

Rolf

PS, there is no real minimum size for a motorised dish, but 80cm is probably the real sensible minimum, a Zone 2 minidish is near the same performance unless you buy a top of the range 80cm.

D

djc53320661

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Jul-02 AT 11:00 PM (GMT)]Hmmm hadn't really thought about the possibilty of motorising the existing dish (zone 2), if I understand u correct. Is this a possibility then and what equipment would I need to do that.

I understand I wouldn't get all the avail Sats due to the size of the dish, but it would give me greater options than just the Astra/Hotbird combo wouldn't it.

Sorry to sound a bit lame as I am fairly new to this game and pretty much know next to nothing about motorised systems.

I have been looking and presume I need something like this for example:- Budget DiSEcQ motormount 80cm - Budget DiSEcQ motormount for use with dishes up to 80cm. Popular budget mount.

Would this be ok and would I need anything else to go with the above and how hard are these to fit ?

Another daft question how do u power the motor ? I understand that I can move the dish by using my PC/Software ?

Thanks again

Chris :)

BTW I had to forget about the use of the zone 1 dish as its still being used to view the FTA stuff.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Most of the budget DiseqC units wiil power a mexh dish up to 1 metre, but will be better with an 80cm, they are powered via the coax cable. With regard to setting one up, you really need some sort of meter, but an analogue receiver would probably be an adequate substitute.

There are couple of quite detailed posts on installation of a DiseqC H to H. You will also need to make sure that the DiseqC versions on the receiver and the motor are compatible.

Rolf