Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Been asked to set this up by Marts :)

I'd also be interested to know myself. I've used Forte Agent for years and won't have Outlook Express or Outlook.
Others swear by other clients, though I must admit to not trying that many of them.
If your favourite isn't in the poll, please add it below.
Cheers

Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use Outlook now, have tried a few of the others, only used Agent for News, may give it a try with mail as well. I originally used Outlook Express and liked the fact that it could collect Hotmail, but prefer its older brother now. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As a long time Demon user, I use their own software which is called Turnpike. Email and news collection in one. Not the easiest client to get to grips with, but so much more secure than Outlook Depressed.

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
I used to use this software and though I loved all the animations and wallpapers it wasn't very good at keeping the virus' out.

I now use Outlook Express which I never thought I would but with Win XP sp2 I have not had a problem with it.

Avast helps aswell.

I'm surprised that Mozilla Thunderbird was not on the list

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Two I use are missing..

The Mac client - Mail
and Google's email - GMail

OK so nobody uses a Mac!

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I could do with a box saying "Don't use any of them as I use a web based service".

I've never used Outlook or Outlook express and the last email client I used was Netscape about 4 years ago.

PaulR

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Hi Paul,

Never gave web based mail a thought really, sorry about that.

*rolfw.......the reason I use Agent is as you say, a good newsreader, but the mail side also suits my needs.

*Analoguesat.....never been with Demon, so never tried Turnpike (heard of it, that's about it) BTW you should have snailmail tomorrow

*gameboy......sorry about that m8, didn't consider macs!

Still not beating me Marts :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I used Outlook at work and Outlook Express at home. At home I filter my mail with Mailwasher Pro so if I think there's anything dodgy I bin it. Never had a problem and don't get any spam so, like Norton (and as stick said elsewhere) why change.

TBH when friends and colleagues have had problems with virus protection or firewalls or mail clients, the majority of the time it's been a userbility problem and nothing to do with the package.

stevenalker

Reaction score
Website
www.unimaxsolutions.com
My Location
Rudgwick, West Sussex, UK
I use Microsoft Outlook, mainly because it integrates well with my CRM system, Maximizer Enterprise, which I use for work and as a personal address book for home use (OK, the latter is an over-kill, but why learn to use another less able product!) I populate Outlook’s task list and calendar from Maximizer and can share them with non Maximizer users both at work and on the home network via Outlook. Getting a 12 year old to the dentist on time is rendered much less painful when his PC pops up an Outlook reminder to him in the middle of whatever he is doing and an email is received from my own CRM system letting him know I’ll pick him up from school.

Searching Outlook for that missing email where you can only remember a bit about the subject but not who it was from or when it was sent, when you have thousands of emails in different folders is difficult and slow, so I've deployed Lookout which indexes all the Outlook Folders very much like an internet search engine. Finding an email from any folder by a key-word search or combination search takes milliseconds. It finds matches from the From: / To: fields as well as the subject, body text, and attachments.

It also has the advantage of being able to index your hard drives and any mapped network drives, so you can find text, Word, Excel and other documents by words which appear in their content or file name.

It does not yet work with Outlook Express, which is a pity.

If you'd like to try Lookout its free from www.lookoutsoft.com

If you are trying to use the new search engine Blinkx which is still in beta test format, I believe that the two interfere with each other, causing non-fatal annoying error messages in Outlook.

Best Wishes

Steve