PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
On our recent trip to France we had no landline when we arrived at the house. We still didn't when we left 10 days later (calamity) and part of the problem was not being able to give a mobile phone number as a point of contact for the tech service.

I believe that things have changed in France since I last looked at things but what I want is a PAYG SIM that doesn't expire (as they used to do). I don't intend to use the phone much, if at all, so preferably one that doesn't get cut off if the phone is switched off.

Does such a thing exist now?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm with EE in the UK and have full use of my phone minutes and data in France Paul, I think there are others now in the UK who offer the same.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Indeed Rolf is correct Paul, Three network, BT, O2 and Tesco all offer free EU roaming services, I am currently investigating Freedom pop network which I understand is either just starting in France or has already started as the free data each month is amazing value

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'm not certain about this, but Orange (who have the monopoly on landlines in France) may not accept a UK mobile as a contact number. I'm still using my Vodaphone mobile here which has EU roaming, though I use it for calls very rarely. It may also be worth looking at the SIM deals the larger supermarkets (LeClerc, Carrefour, SuperU) offer, which I believe now have no credit expiration...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm with EE in the UK and have full use of my phone minutes and data in France Paul, I think there are others now in the UK who offer the same.
I'm with Three and have similar but that's not the problem.

With it being a UK SIM I cannot access the short code necessary to contact the French service providers. Further the service provider in question (SFR - the others may be the same) cannot accept my UK number with international prefix as they can only accept 10 digits - no more, no less and must begin 06 which denotes a mobile number.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm not certain about this, but Orange (who have the monopoly on landlines in France) may not accept a UK mobile as a contact number.
Exactly my problem Pete.

It may also be worth looking at the SIM deals the larger supermarkets (LeClerc, Carrefour, SuperU) offer, which I believe now have no credit expiration...
Ah, that sounds more like it. Trouble is I'm in the UK now so can't investigate myself.

I'm going to look at the link that Topper posted though.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
FreedomPop isn't suitable for me unfortunately.

First it's UK based which means I'll have a UK phone number. Second it's a monthly account which means that everything dies after the month expires. Most months would go to waste.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Had very similar problems at the start of my France stay this year. Had to go to a neighbour to call orange (later found the international contact nr's). Took 3 phone calls and 3 weeks to fix the line :0)

Now got a working fixed line + 2 Norwegian sims (roaming on Orange and Bouygues) + 2 French sims, 50 GB Bouygues (the only 3G internet working in the mountains here) and a sfr payg sim for backup and coverage testing (which 'I think' will not die if not used for a while, check it out).

About this:
With it being a UK SIM I cannot access the short code necessary to contact the French service providers.

sfr +33 6 10 00 10 23
orange +33 9 69 39 39 00
free +33 1 78 56 95 60
bouygues +33 6 60 614 614

Last edited:

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
English speaking line for Orange France +33 9 69 36 39 00