Best Sky+ box?

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
i may well be getting Sky+ soon, so is there any agreement here in the forum as to which is the best Sky+ box to get, so when I order I can demand that box (even though I'm aware its normally that you get what your given)?

Also, the same question regarding normal Sky boxes?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
late Pace v1/any Pace v2 are better for Sky+
I've heard bad of Amstrad boxes and the Thomson 160 boxes......

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Leee said:
late Pace v1/any Pace v2 are better for Sky+
I've heard bad of Amstrad boxes and the Thomson 160 boxes......

Cheers Lee. I've heard alot of bad things bout Amstrad, shocking really cos Alan Sugar doesnt look like his missing out!!!

Ok, does anybody else have an opinion, on either Sky+ or normal Sky boxes?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I have a Pace and it's an excellent box. Very quick.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i think the dreambox with hard disc makes a pretty good sky+ box,but then again thats just my opinion ;-)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
twag42 said:
i think the dreambox with hard disc makes a pretty good sky+ box,but then again thats just my opinion ;-)

he he, v good, although i think we are all aware that Sky dont share ur love of the dreambox!!!

Pace it is then! Many thanks to all.

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Hi,

I sell pace v2 and the new Thompson 160's in Cyprus, and I'd take the thompson EVERY time,!

I've had two faulty pace delivered, refused to find the default transponder after a couple of days in two different locations, yet replacment units have performed prefectly.

I've yet to have ANY of the reported sw probs with the thompsons and find the tuners superior in fringe areas

I've experience lots of sw bugs with the Pace v2.

Wouldn't touch the amstrad after getting too many with green banding when viewed - early models , yes, but why should clients be Guinea Pigs?

Re: normal SKY Boxes,

Again I prefer the Thompsons over the Pace DS430N and the Amstrads - despite what I've just said re their SKY+ seem ok, too !

GA

Salty25 said:
he he, v good, although i think we are all aware that Sky dont share ur love of the dreambox!!!

Pace it is then! Many thanks to all.

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
From what I read so far, all the sky PVR boxes are horrible. What a waiste. I wish they allow the consumer to choose theyr hard disk brand. Does anyone know if there will be any newer Sky PVR systems available soon.

reggie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
uk
Grande_Assiette said:
Hi,

I sell pace v2 and the new Thompson 160's in Cyprus, and I'd take the thompson EVERY time,!

I've had two faulty pace delivered, refused to find the default transponder after a couple of days in two different locations, yet replacment units have performed prefectly.

I've yet to have ANY of the reported sw probs with the thompsons and find the tuners superior in fringe areas

I've experience lots of sw bugs with the Pace v2.

Wouldn't touch the amstrad after getting too many with green banding when viewed - early models , yes, but why should clients be Guinea Pigs?

Re: normal SKY Boxes,

Again I prefer the Thompsons over the Pace DS430N and the Amstrads - despite what I've just said re their SKY+ seem ok, too !

GA

whats so wrong with the amstrad model?