Best Sky+ HD digibox for fringe reception?

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Digibox (SD) for fringe reception
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
For years I've used a 'tried&tested' Panasonic digibox that was great for fringe areas, but I'd like to finally make the move to HD and get Sky+ in the process.

Which Sky+ HD digibox is currently tops when it comes to fringe reception and picking up the most channels? Putting up a decent-sized dish shouldn't be a problem, but I might as well invest in a box that will get the most out of the available signal.

Is the Amstrad DRX895 Sky+ HD box worth a look or should I stay away from this one?

tothbros

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm Gibertini, Andrews (CM) feedhorn, LNB: C120 flange Invacom QDF-031, Sky+HD box
My Location
Budapest, Hungary
I have a Pace Sky+HD box with 300GB hard drive (160 for personal use, I think). The model number is TDS850NB. I am using it for fringe reception. This outperforms my previous Pace SD box (DS430N), which is considered almost as good as everybody's favourite 2600C1. The model is discontinued, but I'm sure you can find it on ebay.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
I have tried all the Sky HD boxes here (except the 1TB model) and the Amstrad DRX890C was the most sensitive, by a long margin.

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
Thanks for the information, guys.

Hmm, tough choice. I have the option to go for the Amstrad DRX890 (not sure if it's the "C" model or not), but the Amstrad DRX895 seems to be the next model, quite similar but with a 1TB drive. Of course it would be painful to find out afterwards that the 895 is less sensitive...

How would the above-mentioned Pace TDS850NB compare to the Amstrad(s)? I see it's available quite cheaply on ebay. Is it more sensitive and a better choice for fringe reception? What about the speed at which you can flick through channels? Is it very snappy or does it lag (my old Panasonic was super-quick, but my parents' Grundig was annoyingly slow...)?

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
tothbros said:
I have a Pace Sky+HD box with 300GB hard drive (160 for personal use, I think). The model number is TDS850NB. I am using it for fringe reception.

Thanks, is this generally the best Pace Sky+ HD box out there or has it since been replaced by a better model?

Also, is it a quick performer for the usual stuff like flipping channels?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
aster said:
Thanks, is this generally the best Pace Sky+ HD box out there or has it since been replaced by a better model?

Also, is it a quick performer for the usual stuff like flipping channels?

It was the only Pace HD Sky box and stopped production over two years ago. It is slightly slower, has a less sensitive tuner and a smaller HDD than the latest HD+ boxes branded now as Sky but manufactured in the Amstrad factories that Sky took over several years ago. Up to now these Amstrad?sky boxes appear to be the most reliable HD boxes so far.

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
Thanks Dave, so the Amstrad DRX890C would easily be a better choice in terms of tuner sensitivity than the Pace TDS850NB?

How does the newer Amstrad DRX895 fit in all this? Is it on par the 890C?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The non-recordable Sky DRX595 is very good and is so far the best Sky box I've tried (out of a Pace 2600C1 and DS430 and Panasonic TU-DSB30). Unfortunately I haven't been able to compare it with the latest Sky HD+ boxes but I thought I'd add that info to the thread just in case it's of interest.

I've written a bit more about it here:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...ption/193075-sky-drx595-fringe-reception.html

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
davemurgtroyd said:
It was the only Pace HD Sky box and stopped production over two years ago. It is slightly slower, has a less sensitive tuner and a smaller HDD than the latest HD+ boxes branded now as Sky but manufactured in the Amstrad factories that Sky took over several years ago. Up to now these Amstrad?sky boxes appear to be the most reliable HD boxes so far.

Right, so the question is whether to take the safest bet out there and go for the tried&tested Amstrad DRX890C, or take a leap of faith and go for the newer DRX895. Is the latter relatively new or has it been in distribution for a while now? Seems like it's very hard to find a comparison between those two models...

DragonSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
I have both the 890C and teh DRX595. Both perform well here in Naples receiving all transponnders 24/7 and in light rain.

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
DragonSat said:
I have both the 890C and teh DRX595. Both perform well here in Naples receiving all transponnders 24/7 and in light rain.

Would I be correct in thinking that the only real difference between these decoders is the recording function? Apart from that both offer the same picture quality, tuner sensitivity, same speed of flicking channels, etc.?

aster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warsaw <> Singapore
timo_w2s said:
The non-recordable Sky DRX595 is very good and is so far the best Sky box I've tried (out of a Pace 2600C1 and DS430 and Panasonic TU-DSB30). Unfortunately I haven't been able to compare it with the latest Sky HD+ boxes but I thought I'd add that info to the thread just in case it's of interest.

Putting the newest 895 aside, how does the 595 compare with the 890? Does anybody know if they are identical in terms of tuner sensitivity?