Better EPG for 28.2°E channels on non-$ky box?

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
I am going down the route of $ky (paid subscription) on a non-$ky receiver (I have quite a few I could use), but I'll lack a decent EPG, because the BBC et al channels only display now and next, and the $ky channels are just a big blank.

I was looking for a Media Highway EPG on 28.2 but I guess there isn't one. I do have some software TAPs that I could use on one of my Topfield receivers and I think I could get Radio Times data for at least my preferred 30 channels this way.

Another option would be to buy a second hand $ky+ PVR2 box and upgrade the HDD, but the thing wouldn't record unless I either paid a tenner a month or subscribed to Sports or Movies and I'm not interested in them.

I did want to see if I could use just one box for all the TV, and get rid of our Freeview PVR: I am fairly sure that this would have a high WAF and I'd be happy to trade in some of my gear for a dm7025 to do what I want to do on it. I suppose at the end of the day I could earn more than it'd cost to buy $ky+ if only I spoent more time working and less looking at ways of not having to pay an extra tenner a month for $ky+. :| It's just, well, you know.

Does anybody know any other method of achieving a reliable EPG with data for several days on 28.2°E?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Sky epg is a closed system, and is not available to non sky receivers. As BBC ITV et al dont seem to be interested yet in proper epg's for non sky boxes you will have to make do with the rudimentary now & next details.

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Oh no, I won't. I can use a perl script to download the Radio Times EPG data, convert it to a TGD file and use the EPGUPDATER TAP to harvest it from my PC via an NSLU2 to my TF5000PVR.

I just wanted to see if there was an easier way, is all. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
:-rofl2 You could be typing in Hungarian for the sense that makes to me!

Very basically your receiver allows you to get epg info off the RT site. Neat

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Well yes, more or less. If only the thing had an ethernet port it'd be so much simpler.

It only works for a max of 30 channels though.

It might be worth going down the Sky+ route and review what's available at the end of a 12 month sub. Trouble is the Sky+ boxes don't even have a USB port let alone ethernet so it'd be a retrograde step really.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Yes, I had read about that but I don't see that being implemented to work as a USB client (let alone host) and without that I don't see it working for anything like moving recordings to another device.

I've plenty of other boxes that I can use to record stuff I want to keep. It's just the day to day recordings of run of the mill TV programmes that I want to record wit this "proposed" $ky+ box.