Better Firewall

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I've been getting a hell of a lot of spyware on my PC (Windows XP Home) in fact over 700 in the past week.
I've got rid of them, but someone at work told me that I would be better off changing my Zonealarm firewall for a Better firewall as it would stop a lot of them.

Anyone any idea's, and has anyone got the Better firewall.

:-snowman

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use Bullguard, integrated Firewall/antivirus, works well for me. Still get the odd adware items, but very few and not serious ones.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Better still to get use a router with built in firewall unless like me you cannot have a fixed IP address.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Rob said:
Anyone any idea's, and has anyone got the Better firewall.

Firewalls are not intended to stop tracking cookies Rob, which I assume is what you are experiencing. All firewalls are basically clones, a door to which you have the key. Firewalls are meant to stop the real baddies.

If you are using IE then you need to reset your security settings, else use Firefox LOL. Alternatively get SpywareBlaster and Spybot ... but make sure before going online to activate both. In the case of Spybot always activate the immunize button.

Regards - Marts :-thumbup

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
@ Rob, purely out of interest, do you have DAP (Download Accelerator) ?

Cheers - Marts

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi Marts, I realise that firewalls were not intended for this job but my workmate thought that the "Better Firewall" filtered out a lot of them. If he's right or not I don't know as I have never used this firewall.

Don't use IE, mainly use Opera and as for spyware protection I have Spybot, Xoftspy, and Ewido Security Suite, and no I don't use DAP.

When I recently put Ewido in it "found" 583 little nasties but some could well have been missed by the other two.

Thanks for your help
Rob

:-bigsanta

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Rob said:
Hi Marts, I realise that firewalls were not intended for this job but my workmate thought that the "Better Firewall" filtered out a lot of them. If he's right or not I don't know as I have never used this firewall.

Don't use IE, mainly use Opera and as for spyware protection I have Spybot, Xoftspy, and Ewido Security Suite, and no I don't use DAP.

When I recently put Ewido in it "found" 583 little nasties but some could well have been missed by the other two.

Thanks for your help
Rob

:-bigsanta

You appear to be well protected, but might I suggest you click the "immunize" button in Spybot each time you go online, and download "SpywareBlaster" also activating it each time you go online ?

Regards - Marts

brewby

Reaction score
Spyware blaster, cracking resident prog, protects all your browsers, Sygate firewall, Avast antivirus, multi process protection, not had a virus for 2yrs, had 1 low level spyware in 2yrs, also use ad-aware to scan system for spyware once a week and never had a critical object.
I recommend them all.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Firewalls stop intrusion to your PC/ Network. Antivirus protects against viruses (virii?). I just changed from Avast to AVG and it found bugs Avast had missed. ZOne Alarm is for piece of mind and I also have a firewall in my router.

Would also suggest Pest Patrol and Ad Aware.

Firefox is better for safe browsing than IE (or try Opera as well).

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
I would recommend to everyone on here to use Avast Home edition (avast.com) which is free for personal use and filters out any rubbish you may run into on the net.

It's the only antivirus program I know of that can do a boot time scan which can ged rid of any nasties which may be attached to system services etc that cannot be cleaned in Windows

Firefox 1.5 is also a massive improvement over IE

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive been running Sygate Personal Firewall on the laptop and I must say that I am far more impressed with it than I was with ZoneAlarm.

Its free to download from majorgeeks.com and has a number of security tests to check ports for all types of attacks.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
All I can say is that it's great to see everybody using all the tools at their disposal, especially the free ones. Awareness of the need to protect yourself in more ways than one is the only way to combat the scummy film that floats on the surface of the Internet.

:-sugar

My prediction for the next 12 months is a significant backlash against the tracking cookie brigade, and it will be interesting to see the impact on the rest of the planet (particularly corporate identities) of genuine 'business related' cookies being hit by unfussy counter measures.

I'm sure this won't solve the problems, but even if it has the same effect as the generic pop-up blockers, it will be good news.

I can also see the day coming when cookie-type data is not stored on your PC but on corporate databases. Then we'll have even more fun and uproar.

You should know that this already happens, even if you bail out of a 'transaction' before completion.

STICK

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Good post BGonaSTICK I spend a lot of time on comp forums. A large percentage of problems encountered are down to sheer stupidity by thee and me not updating our defences on a regular basis. Dropping our guard as it were. Spybot S&D = two updates today alone !!!!! Peeps are always grumbling ... why didn't Ad-Aware pick the bugger up. Why didn't Spybot S&D find the %*&&&$£" Because you havn't updated the bloody thing for a week LOL :-googly

IMO the future regarding AV stuff is free. The likes of Norton will not be for mr average home user. They have become far too complicated. OK they are comprehensive. They have to be in order to justify what they charge, but as for me ... give me simple please :-gnome

Regards - Marts

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Marts said:
You appear to be well protected, but might I suggest you click the "immunize" button in Spybot each time you go online. Regards - Marts

Think you might have hit on something here Marts. I checked both Spybot and Xoftspy and immunize was not switched on, something I have now corrected.
Will now do a scan with each of the spyware units and then see how many I then get in the next week. :-sball

:-santa3