My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
3.1m K-Tronix Mesh Gospell C-band + Kombined KU LNB 4 way Diseq Switch
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Hi Everyone,

You might want to go have a wee, and grab some cool drink before starting to read my rambling.

A few weeks ago I posted some pics of my 2.0m dish in the pictures section.
Last night after working for many hours with it, I realised that the dish is NOT functioning properly.

Why? If you read the picture post, you would recall that the dish was badly damaged when I got it. I disassembled it, and started forming the panels of it. After many hours of work, it finally looked like it had before. After I wash finished, I checked the focus length of it, and all seemed in order.

I have tried numerous times now to receive some Ku band channels with it, and was only able to see a few from Pas 7/10.The signal strength from the Sat is 45dbW.No pointing a dish of that size to a transponder with 45dbw ,is just ridiculous ,as signal will be perfect with a 60cm!

What is my point?

I need some help. Maybe I should spend some more time with the dish, forming the panels?

Does anyone have good info on how to do this ( correctly?).

Attached is a pic of the dish, Its Elsat brand, but probably a rip off from some other brand.

Thanks for reading :)

Karis
Pic :Dsc0092 : Before
Pic : Dsc01114: After all the work

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I hope they are 'before' pictures.

That dish really is rather beyond help. For reasonable Ku reception from a petalised dish the panel shape should be within a couple of millimeters from the correct parabolic design, all round.

Additionally the feed has to be both at the right focal distance, and be positioned so that it is looking straight down the centre of the petals (boresighting).

Unless you want to have another go (spending about an hour on each petal) I think you may be better off getting a new dish. Over here you can get similar dish sizes for under £200.

karism

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Thanks for the reply.

I started with Ku reception as I`am familiar with it.In the end i would like to use it for C-band reception.I`am willing to spend more time on each panel,if i can rescue it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would forget it personally, those dishes are not great anyway, as they are difficult to set up perfectly even when not misshapen.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Wow, 2 metre...that's a cool council! ;)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
That dish is far from repairable.

It's useless.

karism

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Ok i see.
Will have to start saving then for a nice mesh dish.Perhaps i will go up to 2.4m or so.

Karis