Big Dish

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Hi, All

I have been offered a 2m fibreglass dish.

Would like some advice as I know nothing about these dishes, are they any good, have they any drawbacks.

All replies much appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Got any idea on the spec or the make Razor?

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
No Rolfw just that it is a polar mounted dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is in good nick, is designed for Ku band and has a suitable feed, plus is at the right price, you should make some good use out of it Razor. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Think I'll leave it,
It was free to good home but a 150mile round trip to go and get it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ahh and from experience, a 150 mile drive takes a tad longer there than it does in the UK. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Now ye have it, and the 5yearold son in the back.
Are we there yet..are we there yet.

Thanks but NO thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you checked out with one of the haulage companies in the area where the dish is, they would probably do a very cheap deal, as long as they could fit it into the next trip down to your area. I did that a while ago with a large item and they only charged me £50.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
The truckres in this country won,t stop for the COPS never mind getting out spanners to take down my dish.

Anyway I have my heart set on a nice C- Master.

PS. do you come over often.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, only been over once, but have a friend who lives down in Thomastown and went to his youngun's christening, we had a bit of a drive around though whilst there. :)

You may have to wait and see what happens with Channel Master, they are in administration at the moment.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Still a lot of old stock around.

Thomastown know it well, my sister lives there.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
BTW see how I'm keeping the thread going, and no dross or dribble in sight.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, lovely town, spent a weekend there, certainly some of the most friendly people I've met. One of my friends had forgotten to bring a white shirt for the Christening and the local Garda station phoned the tailor to open up and get him one on the Sunday morning. :)

I also like the way that they have to close the bar for an hour in the afternoon, they don't kick people out, just make sure that they have enough drinks so that they don't need serving. :) :cheers:

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Must have been some time ago, bars don't close anymore, open all day.

That was what we called the holly hour, an old law passed to try and get hard drinking men home to their wifes for dinner. passed in 1908 and when it was passed all the hard drinking men took their wifes and moved to Liverpool.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Probably a few years back, strange how time flies. :)