comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Hi all
I remember reading somewhere that it's easier to set up a small dish than a large one.
If this is the case, how come.
(I'm a bit thick when it comes to the techy stuff)
I'm working in the peak district this summer and want to take sat with me (of course!!!)
I have a choice of taking spare 80cm dish and a tripod or my beloved porty.
Which one would be easier to set up?
I'm after 28e by the way.
Thanks in anticipation

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
Not a statement i would agree with, the only justification could be that the sky minidishes are very sturdy insofar as the boom arms dont move about like they do on some larger dishes. And they are designed for easy/quick set up, not many nuts to tighten. Or that you are less likely to do your back in installing one

What size is the portable? A sky minidish (43cm) would do you fine in the Peak District (as long as you dont have a hill blocking the signal of course) An 80cm would be like trying to crack a walnut with a sledgehammer as they say. Then again if you dont have a meter to align it, the 80cm would be much more forgiving and you would have less problems with bad weather.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, a smaller dish has a wider acceptance angle, so is slightly easier to align, but of course will not achieve such a strong signal.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Thanks folks.
What I was thinking of doing is using the lidl porty dish for 19e (analogue) and the 80cm for 28e.
I know I can set the porty dish up with only a compass and the receiver's signal meter (do it quite regularly when travelling) and I also did my lidl kit dish (57cm) this way but I've never done a larger dish this way.
Is it just the same principle, point in the right general directiion and fiddle??

I have managed to glean the correct compass bearing and elevation for the dish from the net, so that's one less problem.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Better to use the 80cm for 19.2 analogue and the porty for 28.2, the same methods apply for pointing whether 50cm or 1m. :)