BIOS - Re Flashing

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Some more advice if poss please.

I am thinking about re-flashing the Bios on my MotherBoard.

It is PCCHIPS M810L Rev 7.1a

I have had a look at the WebSite, and found the download page I think at :

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=4

Now I am not sure what I should be downloading.

Should I only use the file with the specific Model/Rev i.e. M810L Rev 7.1a that I have [I think this is what I should do], or are the higher numbers e.g. V 7.1c, newer versions that would be compatible with my board.

I am doing this because my Chip Speed seems to vary from BootUp to BootUp.

It should be an AMD 2400, but sometimes it boots up and tells me it is a 1800+, and benchmarking confirms that the operating speed does vary between the two.

At the moment the solution I use is to go into the BIOS SetUp and access the CPU PnP section which shows the correct speed regardless of the reported one at BootUp, and the without making any changes to Exit and Save and re-boot.

This always brings up the correct speed, but on the way back to the main manu of the BIOS Set up, the F10 to 'Save & Exit' does not work, and I have to Cursor down to Exit and enter Return and confirm I want to save changes in order to get back to re-boot.

I hope this makes sense, but if not, please let me know and I will try to explain further.

Kind regards

W.Hole

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unless you hear from someone who has actually done it, I would suggest that you do as you thought, and only flash it to the version that is for your PCB revision. I don’t really know of any PC Chips forums, but you could try asking your question here http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-bin/cgi-bin/ibrd/forums.cgi?forum=5

I have a ECS K75A board (which I believe is actually the same make as PC Chips) and found a bios forum for it, I updated my Bios to an unofficial modified one for a different version of the board from the one I have. Something I would not have attempted myself without the advice of others, but it was certainly worth it.

Has your motherboard always done this?

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks for the reply PM

That forum certainly looks interesting, I would guess I will get the answer there with a bit of luck.

Yes it has always done this, but only now and then.

I am installing a new HDD at the moment, so thought now would be agood time to do it as I am re-booting quite a lot.

You seem to have found some advantages in upgrading yours, what sort of benefits did you get?

Kind regards

W. H.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would also appear from the readme on the file, that your bios doesn't support the 2400+. so this may be the route of your problems.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello R

Which readme file were you looking at?

Kind regards

W.H.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Have you got the 233 or 266 FBS version of the 2400?

The main reason I changed was the new bios supported hard drives over 132GB, that (at the time) was the limit of any official support, there now is an official one that supports 132+ drives, but doesn’t seem have any advantages over the one I have.
In the Bios that came with my board there was also a known bug where SSE was disabled on Athlon T-Bred chips (which do support it) as I have a T-Bred 1800+ that was useful.

The main unofficial support of the modified bios is that the FSB can be adjusted to several settings other than 100/133. Meaning the chip can be overlclocked from the bios, where as in the official ones there is no support for that.

The forum for the ECS board I have also has a PC Chips section; you might get some help there also: http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum