Bird Flu....

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Rant time....

With 60 people dead in the last 'two years' in Asia what's the problem?

Why not focus more on breast cancer that kills women every day in the UK!

Sorry! I'll worry about it when it is truly a pandemic (Global epidemic).

The H5N1 flu strain may come but until then why frighten people?

Replies welcome....

dago

Reaction score
because if it mutates, into one of the common colds, seventy percent

of the current popultion could be dead, and as for the surviving thirty
percent, their chances a not great,

regards.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
dago said:
because if it mutates

Cancer is a true 'pandemic' that is here now - that should be our priority. (IMHO)

Remember the AIDS pandemic that never happened?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
dago said:
because if it mutates, into one of the common colds, seventy percent

of the current popultion could be dead, and as for the surviving thirty
percent, their chances a not great,

regards.

No way would 70% of the population die, I think that they were talking of 70,000 possibly.

Yes it is a serious spectre, but I agree with Gameboy, the media have taken this up and won't let go, it is a potential horror story, but at this stage it is not a fact and there are much more serious killers at large. ;)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I know they been going on about the spanish flu in 1911 or so, but back then we did not have anti biotics and other anti viral drugs, so the chances that 20 million will die as happened then is not so great. But, better be prepared for it so it won't breal out. After all, aids needed a relative large amount of fluids to be changed between two people, with the flu the spray of one person sneezing is enough to get many people sick, especially in closed spaces such as trains, planes and such. The Spanish flu reached all the way to Alaska and other far away places, and this was way before air travel was popular.
Therefore it can't be compared to aids. Now regarding the Cancer thing, I am not sure i know enough about it to comment. But the danger of an epidemic with flu is a real one for sure, not just scare mongering. I have read about it years ago, serious scientists warned about complacency ages ago...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
T_G said:
not just scare mongering. I have read about it years ago

I rest my case...

It may, or may not, happen but the media continue to put fuel on the fire where as cancer is here 'now' and everyone knows someone who has it.

Cancer is a pandemic and that's where the money should go (IMHO) not spending millions on vaccines that may be useless as they don't know the strain of the disease - yet.

Good too hear other comments...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, a pandemic of some sort of Flu is expected at some time or other, but in real terms, we cannot do anything about a vaccine until the strain appears. We can stock up on the symptom relieving drugs and vaccinate vulnerable people against known and likely strains, but we are not even sure whether this avian flu strain will adapt to human to human infection yet.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Well, as long as there are enough anti viral drugs available it should be ok.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
T_G said:
Well, as long as there are enough anti viral drugs available it should be ok.
And that would be some of the problem.

There isn't enough of the general purpose anti-viral drug Tamiflu available at the moment. The makers (Roche) are even thinking of letting other manufacturers make it. Now it MUST be a serious threat if they are even considering such a course of action.

As Rolf says, the proper vaccine can't be produced until there IS an epidemic. Which means that many people will have to be infected and die just to be sure.

Oh, and how many third world countries will be able to protect their population?

dago

Reaction score
why cancer? i must be ruther dim, is cancer in any way contagious?

it only effects a ghost, non contagious.
spanish flue 1918 killed 40 million people, while it might not kill millions
in europe, because we have antiviral vacines, can you just imm#agine
how many millions it can kill in the 3rd world countrys.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, it isn't contagious, but it is pandemic, kills millions worldwide, year in, year out and is widely left by governments for charities to carry out research.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I would add mental illness/disease to the list of top priorities. With about 25% of the population suffering from some form of mental illness sometime in their life, people seem very unaware of what they are, how they affect people and (how little) we know about them.

At any one point 5% of the population is clinically depressed, 26% of women and 12% of men will suffer at least one episode during their lifetime (in the western world that is).

1% of the worlds population suffers from Schizophrenia sometime in their life, a third of them will have it for most of their adult life and not respond to any treatment. I know 1% isn't much, but we don't know what causes it, genetic links are unclear and no one has come to any sort of clear conclusion as to what it does in brain. Drug therapies are crude, have many side effects, don't attack all symptoms and don't work at all in a third of cases.

With the average life expectancy increasing things like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other late onset conditions are likely to affect more and more people.

Addiction and addiction related health problems are serious, there is no clear understanding of it, 'treatments' for most drug addictions (including nicotine and alcohol) are crude and hard, other addiction treatments are just maintenance therapies and don't address the underlying addiction.

I'm not trying to compare mental illness to other illnesses, just using this as an opportunity to show what a problem it is, and wonder why there is so little public or media attention paid to it.

aatt1111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic receiver
Guys, the truth is that some people within the World Health Organization are concerned about management of cases on a global scale. Some might say that they are over-reacting based on previous pandemics (which are worse than epidemics) like the one that happened in 1911. The truth is that medical resources at the time cannot be compared to the ones that we have nowdays (for example, mechanical ventilarory support for those that are under severe respiratory distress was not available at the time). On the other side, many of the developing countries (which most likely are going to have the highest death tolls) are not in a condition to manage a crisis of this magnitude. Even in developed nations, intensive-care units have limited beds available, and a triage approach will most likely be enforced in order to offer those with the best survival chances a place in those units. What we know is that the avian strain does not affect easily the humans (look at how many cases of human flu we see each year as a comparison), but if both strains come into contact, then there is a theoretical chance that a mutated virus will arise that is both aggressive and contagious, and then only God knows what will happen. There is some progress regarding avian-flu vaccination, but it will be available most likely next year. Regarding antiviral medication, the only one that seems to be useful is the Tamiflu (from Roche), but what if the mutated virus becomes resistant to it?

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
I think there is more chance of being ill by standing infront of your satellite dish. Atlantic bird flu has been here for a long time. Professor Elenbie from the eutel university has conducted extensive tests by subjecting mamsters to high levels of satellite waves and has concluded that there is a very high diseqc of recieving something not usals. I am not a hispasat he states and it is sirus it could be here in a flash. Image what could happen isn't worth tinkering about. What transponders from tests is that common interfaces between no compatable emus leads to interference.

Sorry I was just trying to get this thread onto a satellite theme. TAXI FOR WHATSTHIS.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, very good. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think he is beyond saving...satellite madness...very contagious