Birdhut Fortifications

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I think that I may have a pair of Wrens.Off one of the ipcams not very clear.
The screws are back to deter the magpies.
w2.jpg w1.jpg

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
In the nature thread I said that a Jackdaw turns up at teatime.It is getting regular,it turned up this morning for Breakfast. A better picture this.Also the part albino Blackbird is still a regular.I think that the proper word is Leucistic.( I had to look that one up .:)). Edit the Jackdaw turfed a gang of bullyboy starlings of the table.:)
jd2.jpgbb1.jpg

Last edited:

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Pidgeon wars continued.
Not quite more like pigeon war continued.
The local pigeons do not bother the feeders now.Probably because they get well fed at the neighbours.I fact they are so well fed that if you stuck a bill on then you would swear blind that they were Ducks.I am surprised that they can get off the ground.
Back on Topic.
The black birds are pretty friendly I feed them on the patio out side the conservatory.Recently I have had a biscuit tin lid on top of a brush stale.The pigeons took an interest but were soon chased of.Except for a couple of Feral pigeons probably from the town center.
One of them would not take no for an answer.It was like a boomerang chase it off it was back five minutes later.I have a cage for the little birds down the garden.
What was needed now was a large one that lets the blackbirds starlings etc in but not the flying rodents.It has to be large so that they cannot reach too far in to get at the fodder.I only finished it yesterday so some birds are still a bit Leary.Spuggys straight in, some of the more brave blackbirds the white one included are using it.I expect that they all will after a wile.
Edit the biscuit tin lid is in the pics above.
p1030274.jpgp1030273.jpg

Last edited:

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
The ip camera has got this coming out of the birdhut.I presume that it must be a chafinch.Or maybe a spuggy.In other words I have no idea.:)This is the underside.
ch 3.jpg

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Another clip.
That looks a bit Hawkish to me.
Ignore the date that is the camera default date
ch4.jpg

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Looks to me like a Sparrowhawk...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, female Sparrowhawk.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like a Great tit with little colour, too small for even the lesser spotted Woodpecker

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I realise now that it is rather small.
I will get it right one of these days.:)

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Could be a dwarf woodpecker

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
One day last week we had a plague of 6 magpies, 7 woodpigeons 7 jackdaws 2 ring necked doves and 4 starlings and one grey squirrel, demolishing the feeders every time I filled them. I have used various discouraging features and whilst some have found other feeding stations I still have to chase them off.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I have a 240 volt siren in the birdhut.wired to a cheap wifi relay.
In the shed or conservatoy I just press the remote and of it goes.I normaly let the squirrels have a feed.If they get too regular I give them a buzz.Mrs Ponti has just done it in fact.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I have spent the day changing cameras around.To get clearer video.The camera on the cages in now only a yard away.I have put my Dahua varifocal camera back on the pergola.It is a couple of yards from the birdhut. On full zoom it is just about right.Perhaps now I will have a better chance of getting the bird species right.
I am not holding my breath though.The pics below are full screen not clipped.
dahua.jpgcages..jpg

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
The fortifications on my birdhut,Allow access to most birds blackbirds have no problem getting in. Squirrels no stopping them.I even do not mind the magpies grazing a bit from the outside.Thinking that if they get a feed here it will be one less young bird that they will drag out of a nest.
What I will not have getting a feed is pigeons, if they get in they will sit there until all the food has gone.The old ones don't bother.The young ones are small enough to get in.That is happening now.I give them a gentle hint that they are not welcome with a blast from the installed siren.That dose the job.I am not being cruel,the pigeon around here are well fed.If you did not know better you would think that they were ducks.
p1030556.jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Very nice gently braised and served with garden peas.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Here I am again another odd one.I realize that it is probably just another oddball black bird.I have been hanging hoping to get a better image.I have not seen it since though .I fact all the blackbirds have gone missing.They are probably all sulking in trees while they moult.
Ipcam Clip
bb2.JPGbb3.JPG