BISS 1, -E in CAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael47

Can the group suggest a source for CAMs that can decrypt BISS 1 and BISS-E? I am aware that Basic Interoperable Scrambling System solutions require that the user enter a Session Word and Unit ID for the session, but generating a CAM communication protocol should be a small issue for some creative engineering persons.

I want to modify a Common Interface receiver that accepts CAMs now and talk to the BISS CAM from the receiver to the CAM per an expanded Common Interface protocol. I will deal with the receiver and its programming, but need the BISS engine in the CAM.

If there is no one offering this CAM at the moment, are there suggestions as to who might be able to do so?

Any thoughts on technical dfficulties or practical problems if the session word and unit ID are known in advance of the session by the user?

Thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not that i can help you on this one Mike, but there are a few members who may be able to, unfortunately they are not all daily visitors. You may find that a look at Duwgati's Site will reap some information.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
This is from my knowlege normally a very secure system used for the financial markets, and the EBU for DSNG to exchange information, and very little information is availible,

It is used on several satellite's and a Powervu or simlar decoder, that has been individually asigned a fixed key for the encription in either BISS 1 or BISS e formats,

I dont believe you will find much help on this scrambling system, and even more for updating a cam to accept the format even though it is in prinicple a DVB based encription format.

Potentially you already have reviewed the specifications, but if not you can download at the EBU site

Good hunting

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BISS 1 is I believe no longer used

BISS-E is similar to the RAS system used for NDS systems. It relies on a key (eight or sixteens characters long) to be used by both ends of the link before the system will work

Thats as far as my knowledge goes on the subject

CH

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
Guys, you are wrong. BISS-1, BISS-E and the various Conditional Acceess Systems (Viaccess, irdeto, Conax, etc) use the same algorithm for scrambling.

In case of BISS-1/E the key (control word) is entered manually to the receiver. In case of a CAS, the key is transmitted encrypted and gets decrypted by the CAM and the smartcard.

Any type of receiver (consumer or professional) contain a descrambling unit.

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
Guys, you are wrong. BISS-1, BISS-E and the various Conditional Acceess Systems (Viaccess, irdeto, Conax, etc) use the same algorithm for scrambling.

In case of BISS-1/E the key (control word) is entered manually to the receiver. In case of a CAS, the key is transmitted encrypted and gets decrypted by the CAM and the smartcard.

Any type of receiver (consumer or professional) contain a descrambling unit.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
tesla said:
Any type of receiver (consumer or professional) contain a descrambling unit

I do not agree there are numerous receivers that do not

Tesla everybody is a little bit wise 7 years later, check the time stamp of the post ;)

Thread closed to allow it to melt into the archives

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
tesla said:
Any type of receiver (consumer or professional) contain a descrambling unit

I do not agree there are numerous receivers that do not

Tesla everybody is a little bit wise 7 years later, check the time stamp of the post ;)

Thread closed to allow it to melt into the archives

Status
Not open for further replies.