Bl**dy neighbours

Breadfan

Reaction score
Just got the dish up, and after spending a week sorting it and getting it perfectly on the arc, a geezer from the council's just knocked on my door and told me 3 neighbours have complained about it.

It's a 100cm dish and I purposely put it round the back of the house so it's less obtrusive even though it made it a harder install.

Well B****x to them I'll get a 90 cm dish and slap it on the front wall. And paint it tangerine with lime spots.

Yours, very frustrayedly,
Breadfan:-boom:-123:-bash

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't understand what's wrong with people, as soon it's a satellite dish they complain and everything.

What is their problem?

I mean it's not like you are installing a 4 meter dish on the roof, it's a bloody small 100cm dish, who cares!!

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
Breadfan, I sympathise with you m8. Had the same problem myself a couple of years back. Mine was in the garden and only visible to one neighbour. They complained and had the knock on the door from the council man.

Nothing but hassle m8.

Tirosh.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Breadfan said:
Just got the dish up, and after spending a week sorting it and getting it perfectly on the arc, a geezer from the council's just knocked on my door and told me 3 neighbours have complained about it.

It's a 100cm dish and I purposely put it round the back of the house so it's less obtrusive even though it made it a harder install.

Well B****x to them I'll get a 90 cm dish and slap it on the front wall. And paint it tangerine with lime spots.

Yours, very frustrayedly,
Breadfan:-boom:-123:-bash

Sorry to hear that m8. Don't let it get to you. Stick up your 89.999cm dish, and get a HumVee to park outside their house. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Another blow for freedom.

Whereabouts are you breadfan ? You could always apply for permission and at the same time ask the three neighbours to chip in a percentage of what simply goes into the councils pocket.

Otherwise do what I did and say its been there for six years and you dont know why anyone has suddenly kicked up a stink. (Print out the appropriate installers receipt).

Once its all cleared up , make sure you put the noisiest / most corroded worm drive actuator on it, clean the bearings with sand, and use it well after midnight.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you want a 90cm offset dish measure it before buying it as the longest diameter will probably be nearer 100cm.

No one will be able to tell by looking, but if the neighbours complain enough the man from the council will measure it and as it is more than 90cm it will be another dish to put in the garage.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
oh dear...

sorry to hear that breadfan, but I like your 2nd idea "paint it tangerine with lime spots."
I'll put my triax88cm up this weekend, I think it measures more than 90cm in the longest diameter (?). One of my neighbours dont think he cares much but on the other side an old couple, the lady already asked me what the pole was for. I've been sending them xmas cards for last few years..will wait see.. :-/

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is the one you need. :)

shazmart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500ci plus
Motorised dish
Infinity Phoenix programmer
Blue Tit /MkII/Various Fun cards...& a Matrix Reloaded cam
My Location
Norfolk
What if you told your council guy that you bought it as a 90cm dish and if he needs to, let him climb up a ladder & measure the f***er ! - my pet hate is "jobsworths"...good luck buddy.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Had sh1te like this myself a few years back,
Except my garage/shed is on a boundrey line
So i got 2 council visits,
"it was all down to an OLD GIT a few doors down"
whom i hadn`t given time of day to "for 15 years"
he`d complained about a DORMA loft Convertion i`d shuved up "without permission" which i was told to take down, "i appealed to Dept of Enviroment and won"
He`d also complained about the size (21ft) kitchen Extention i built ,
So when i got my visit from M/cr Council anout my 120 pf dish "i stated its been there for 10 years" fixed to the Garage, "which is in tameside (30ft from house)" and i`d just moved it, nearer,
I got a lovely letter from M/cr city council stateing that even though its been there for 10 years , i must fix the dish back in its original position "on the garage" Which is where it resides now" and when tameside council came acalling :eek: about the dish, i shown them this letter and that was that, proof indeed,a council declared recipt. :D :D :D
As for the OLD Flooker "i parked 2 scrap cars outside his gaff" cost me nowt for the pair, they were there a year b4 the council shifted them :rolleyes:
and this only after i had informed the bill "about this OLD GIT ,doing cars up outside his gaff, and leaving them there without TAX and Insurance. :eek: :eek: ,
He dont flook with me ANYMORE.
You have 2 choices with petulant neighbours, suck-up to em, Or kick the sh1t outta em (he was too old for the latter) though i did consider shuving his cat in the MICROWAVE, :( but the DRAGON stopped me. stateing the OLD **** will have a heartattack,

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Apply for permission - the neighbours have to have good grounds to get the council to refuse.

In the mean time - you can keep it up and tell the neighbours that you have applied and the process may take some time...

If the council want to mesure it make sure they have their own ladders and arrange an agreeable time - like Sunday atfter 7pm.

If you have any more trouble with the neighbours start a kipper factory!

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
rolfw said:
This is the one you need. :)

Saw loads of them in Germany, in fact you can get them in high street electrical shops and free to air recievers! Luckily none of my neighbours have complained about my triax dish, and a couple of neighbours across the road are techies anyway and lent me a drill and spirit level when they saw me out front with a ladder!

Yeah go on paint it green with pink spots, that'll piss them off

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they are the Technisat dish. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
gameboy said:
Apply for permission - the neighbours have to have good grounds to get the council to refuse.

Unfortunately thats not the case with dish sizes , when its already in the council guidelines

gameboy said:
If you have any more trouble with the neighbours start a kipper factory!

:D

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
show some of these ars...ol.es exactly why you have the dish and what you can get on it,i reckon there'd be more than one of them will want one,when you tell them how much your monthly subscription costs are compared to sky.it quite often gets a few converts and all of a sudden the dish becomes a saucer :-)

TWAG

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Write "Reclaim the neighborhood" on the dish so everyone can see it.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
In my neighbourhood 1m dishes are quite the norm; mind you, I do live in Berlin.

Since, most foreigner's generally don't entertain local TV for local people - It was good news when the law changed so that foreigner's (sic) could watch Foreigners' TV by means of sat dish - without major discussions.

So now you'll see an abundance of large and often colourful dishes (see rolfs pic) dangling from balconies, clamped between nearly closed windows or teetering from rusty old DDR roof poles.

On the dish size thing. Has it always been a problem (i.e. council guidlines)? Or are these neighbours just complaining 'bout 'the dish' because they are horrid and pugnacious? How do they even know the size to complain about? Very Odd.

Sadly, painting the dish in a garish combo or having wreched cars outside the house wouldn't cause a storm in my neck of the woods.:rolleyes:

Have Fun,

Mark.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Councils don'thave a sense of humour about satellite dishes. I'm informed, by a very reliable source, that when some years ago, BT wanted to paint the prancing pervert logo on its antennae at Goonhilly, Kerrier District Council Planning Department refused permission on the grounds that the design would distract motorists on the Helston - St Keverne road. As if they're not already distracted by several huge dishes with red lights on. Perhaps lime green with tangerine spots would have received approval.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
wolsty said:
I'm informed, by a very reliable source, that when some years ago, BT wanted to paint the prancing pervert logo on its antennae at Goonhilly, Kerrier District Council Planning Department refused permission on the grounds that the design would distract motorists on the Helston - St Keverne road.

Dont knock it
Some have already written utter bolox on the subject.

http://www.innovation.cc/discussion-papers/moss-gender.pdf

3/10 for comprehension, 2/10 for spelling, 0/10 for interest.
Go back to real school, do not pass anything until you have learnt something about life.