redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
What is peoples take on borrowing a neighbours dish ? Long story short there is too much hassle in getting permission for a dish installed in an apt complex. A couple of neighbours who I am almost certain never use the roof have dishes pointing at 30W.

What would people think of someone swapping out the single lnb for a twin and running my own cable ? Sounds devious I know but beats the hassle of all the aggro with getting the permission in the first place. I suppose I could ask the neighbour who could in turn say no and then probably keep an eye out! As I said I am quite confident neither of them ever venture onto the roof so what should I do ?

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Personally I would kick the arse of anyone that I caught pinching a feed of one of my dishes without permission.

I would ask your neighbours for permission, explain that it will not interfere with their own viewing at all, and even offer to chip in if the dish needs any maintenance.

Plus if the reciever is powered up when you alter the cable you risk damaging both it and the LNB.

If your neighbour says no you will have to ask for permission for your own dish.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
If your neighbor agrees, it would not be advisable to change the single LNB to a dual (or twin) because you would be using different mains lines.
Recommend two different LNB units instead, without anything in common electrically between them.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
if some one has a dish up there for the cost of the line and the dual lnb there should be no problem.
if they are hard headdded they just tell them you can swap the single with a dual and they can see their tv service is still working and that will convince them.
remember the scew or the angel the lnb looking at the dish from the front the threded part must point at the between the 7 and 8 on the clock.
if it is pointing at the 6 or down nothing will work and the neighbor will be
upset.
i have seen 3 dishes on the same house all pointing to 13 east and no one figured out using a 4 output lnb and one dish was all they needed.:)
hope you resolve your problem
ralph:)

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
HB13DISH said:
If your neighbor agrees, it would not be advisable to change the single LNB to a dual (or twin) because you would be using different mains lines.
Recommend two different LNB units instead, without anything in common electrically between them.

In the same appartment the mains would be the same as all apartments in the building would share the same supply cables where they enter the building surely ?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rick1980 said:
In the same appartment the mains would be the same as all apartments in the building would share the same supply cables where they enter the building surely ?

A neighbor can also be in a different building.
I live in a building which is in the middle of two adjacent buildings, with different mains lines.

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
They could be on different phases, resulting in 415 volts and a disaster if there is every a fault.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
HB13DISH said:
A neighbor can also be in a different building.
I live in a building which is in the middle of two adjacent buildings, with different mains lines.

True, I read the OP as if they were in the same building, though I could have gotten it wrong.

timbo86 said:
They could be on different phases, resulting in 415 volts and a disaster if there is every a fault.

That is a very good point, I hadn't considered it, though what do I know I'm just a plumber lol

A nonymous

Reaction score
This is an issue i face quite often although its usually on the terrestrial feed on the IRS systems that i install that occasionally causes the problem :eek:

Quite often we have had to pinch the terrestrial (UHF/DAB/FM) feed from a neighboring building if we have line of sight issues.

As both systems in each building are sometimes earthed to different substations we have to use galvanic isolators on the terrestrial feed to isolate one system from the other. This works well on terrestrial feeds although i don't think it would be impractical in this case as you still need to allow a power feed to the lnb.

My thoughts on this would be, don't do it, fit your own dish :D

I myself would be unimpressed if somebody nicked a feed from my dish without permission. I would probably remove the cable and short it out so it hopefully knackers the perpetrators receiver, but thats just me :D

I don't like people messing with my stuff full stop.

:-beer

Nano

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
The apartments are in the same building. The problem is that the building administrators want a letter requesting permission. Then they said they have to call a meeting of all 46 tenants to discuss it and then call a vote! I deem that to be a grat load of bollox tbh.This came in about 3 years back and doesn’t affect dishes installed prior. Seems like a lot of hassle just to get a dish up.

A nonymous

Reaction score
You could propose an IRS system that would be of use to all tenants :D

That way there is one or maybe two dishes that all the tenants in the building can use instead of their own individual ones :-righton

You would also gain the use of a full terrestrial aeial system too :D

:-beer

Nano

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
nanochickin said:
we have to use galvanic isolators

The bain of every narrowboater on shore power... :-rofl2