Box for UK freesat reception in France

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Capestang, Herault, South of France
Hii All
Did a search for an answer but nothing definitive found!

Some friends rent a house and their UK bought freesat box has died. Will this do the job? I bought something for them at Darty and it didn't work , so I just want to be sure this time!
Cheers
SS

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes and no.

Freesat is a Platform ie Its branded Receivers collect a 7 day EPG etc. similar to the way Sky boxes do, and allocated fixed Channel numbers etc. and are simply installed by entering a UK Postcode.

The Darty box is a generic Satellite Receiver and should work fine to actual receive UK Free To Air Channels - but it will require setting up with an up to date Transponder list (or just do an Auto Scan if it has that facility).

Only Now & Next EPG but Channels can be re-ordered, removed etc. at will.

The Skybox F3 you linked to is also a generic Satellite Receiver (albeit with more features than your Darty box) so again will require setting up carefully (It does have Blind Scan, which will help - I have two of those boxes!), but frankly I commend you to have another go with the Darty box.

True Freesat Boxes (ie Purpose made to an approved Platform spec.) can be got easily though: The current range is shown at the right hand side of this page http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/

PS: Stayed in Poilhes, a mere few km from Capestang, on hols a few years ago: Nice area ............ but being somewhat South, recent (and future) changes in the Satellites used for UK TV will mean it's likely bigger dishes than before will be needed to maintain robust reception)

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Capestang, Herault, South of France
Thank you Tivu
The darty box is actually a box from Darty, a Sagemcom TNT sat reciever, so I am now fairly sure it will not work at all, I think they are coded to the French satellite at 19°? . It's been taken back already in fact.

So the F3 should work if set up properly? The Sagem box was 149€ so it sounds like a bargain!
Cheers
SS

PS, it's a fab place to live, we count ourselves very lucky!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, your probably right about the TNT box.

I can recommend the F3, though.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PS, we have a dedicated Skybox HD sub-forum here, so if you ever need any specific help, just ask there.

And someone might even be able to send you a suitable UK Channel list if it all gets too difficult (But I'm sure it won't come to that! OTOH, its a cinch to upload such a file by USB stick)

FredBloggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AZBox Premium, Technomate 5400, waiting for the new VU !!
My Location
France
Singlespeed said:
Thank you Tivu
The darty box is actually a box from Darty, a Sagemcom TNT sat reciever, so I am now fairly sure it will not work at all, I think they are coded to the French satellite at 19°? . It's been taken back already in fact.

So the F3 should work if set up properly? The Sagem box was 149€ so it sounds like a bargain!
Cheers
SS

PS, it's a fab place to live, we count ourselves very lucky!

I take it that this Sagem box was really a satellite receiver, as they have rather deceptive names… TNT actually means DVB-T, as in terrestrial - not satellite !
Sagem did however name some of their purely satellite receivers "TNT", because they receive what people would normally get through their aerial, by satellite.
The french are "entitled" to each TV !! If they are in areas where they can't get "overland", they have to turn to satellite. The satellite receivers that are capable of receiving the french TV channels are limited in choice and the few models that are around, have a card reader and are supplied with a card, without which french free to air reception is disabled. They even announced that these cards would be on a two year renewable basis, but thet seem to have let that drop for the moment !
Anyone still awake there O-zzz :-bigsmile

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whilst TNT is designed for terrestrial reception, owing to the sheer landmass of France, the number of mountainous regions and the lack of a terrestrial newtork, the broadcast is also available on satellite as an option.

The dedicated boxes are manufactured with a card slot and (free) subscription card is available at the point of purchase