Box Recommendations Please

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Even though I would really like to, I don’t have much time to do a lot of reading-up, so could someone please recommend a digital receiver in the range of £100. I would like something good for the beginner but also something with possibilities for the future. Intend to receive free channels on Hotbird and Astra using monoblock lnb (just got one on eBay don’t know if I did the right thing), and later possibly pay channels.

Thanks

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
I'd recommend the technomate 7600 2VA, from what i've seen of it its a pretty nice receiver, i personally only have the technomate 2000D (fta only)

if you really want oen with cam slots then fork out a little more for the technomate 1500 CI+ (its abotu 110 from various places) built in card reader, one CI slot, blind search, patchable as well.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
I'd go for a Fortec Star 5100 Ultra.

2x CI slots, patchable, blind scan & cheap!

(Or if you can't afford that the Fortec Lifetime Ultra - for the money I think mine is ace!)

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thank you all. How is the UK online market for satellite equipment nowadays? The only site I really know about is hisat. I've bought from them once before - they are good but I'd be interested in checking out some others. Do you know of any other good ones?

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
* absoluteb

Try John at _http://www.satellitetvsolutions.co.uk, he is a gen dealer and installer, also satalogue has some reasonable priced gear.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thanks for the tip. That satellitetvsolutions.co.uk looks good and the recommended receivers also look good (couldn't find the Fortec mentioned on this site). I like the fast channel change feature - I recall having to wait ages to change channels when I visit my family in Germany. There’s one thing - I kind of have a thing for Samsung. Are their receivers any good? The non-FTA ones are expensive but I am tempted.

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Ok, I realise I’m being the standard annoying person asking many questions “because I want to make the right decision” (sarcasm), but I have a few questions before I buy which I hope you can answer.

Firstly what the hell is “blind search” – I did a search for this (drums)… and found nothing. The reason I ask is because I found this Fortec http://www.promosatuk.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/192 which has everything but doesn’t seem to have “blind search”, but has two CI slots (I’m not sure if this is the exact one you were referring to racingclubuk )

This card reader that the technomate 1500 CI+ has over the 1000 CI ; is it any good? Will it work with a card from a Polish TV provider? Are their any other significant differences between the two versions of receivers?

The little slip that came with my monoblock lnb says DiSEqC 2.0 is this a typo? 1500 CI+ supports DiSEqC 1.2.

Am I getting something I don’t really need with the 1500 CI+ - although only I can answer that question because satellites interest me and even though for now I just want FTA, later I may want to experiment a bit more.

Thanks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
absoluteb said:
Ok, I realise I’m being the standard annoying person asking many questions “because I want to make the right decision” (sarcasm), but I have a few questions before I buy which I hope you can answer.

Firstly what the hell is “blind search” – I did a search for this (drums)… and found nothing. The reason I ask is because I found this Fortec http://www.promosatuk.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/192 which has everything but doesn’t seem to have “blind search”, but has two CI slots (I’m not sure if this is the exact one you were referring to racingclubuk )

This card reader that the technomate 1500 CI+ has over the 1000 CI ; is it any good? Will it work with a card from a Polish TV provider? Are their any other significant differences between the two versions of receivers?

The little slip that came with my monoblock lnb says DiSEqC 2.0 is this a typo? 1500 CI+ supports DiSEqC 1.2.

Am I getting something I don’t really need with the 1500 CI+ - although only I can answer that question because satellites interest me and even though for now I just want FTA, later I may want to experiment a bit more.

Thanks
The CI plus Ultra version of the Fortec has the blind search facility - the ability to scan channels without needing to set parameters such as frequency, symbol rate, PIDS etc - it finds every transponder on a satellite transmitting at that time. Ideal for feedhunters.
Check _www.fortecstar.com for specs.

Llew

H_SAT

Reaction score
My Location
BRISTOL UK
absoluteb said:
Even though I would really like to, I don’t have much time to do a lot of reading-up, so could someone please recommend a digital receiver in the range of £100. I would like something good for the beginner but also something with possibilities for the future. Intend to receive free channels on Hotbird and Astra using monoblock lnb (just got one on eBay don’t know if I did the right thing), and later possibly pay channels.

Thanks
The GbSat FTA0 is a free to air receiver costing 99 GBP and can be used with DiSEqC and therefore can control your Monoblock LNB - it has a 3 Year warranty and is well supported - for 20 GBP more the 2CI 0 has a Common interface CAM which works with all the different CAMs and also has a 3Year warranty

both receivers come pre-installed with all the channels on Astra and hotbird
they are full remote control 2 Scart UHF and RF Loop through UK Plug

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
Hi,

I decided to go for the technomate in the end. Thanks for all your advice. I just received it today and I am having a bit of trouble.

I’m catching Astra 19.2 ok (subject to some correction), but I am not catching HotBird 13.0 at all.

The monoblock lnb is made for this very set-up but I don’t think the receiver is managing to change the eye it is using. When I change the selection for the DiSEqC switch on each satellite’s configuration nothing happens: Astra remains high signal and HotBird unstable/none.

The monoblock has two necks for the two eyes. The strange thing is, I changed the neck that the bracket holds and there was no noticeable change in signals. Surely a change of 6.2 degrees would loose Astra 1? (I hadn’t changed the DiSEqC switch values at that point not that that makes any difference).

The receiver says DiSEqC 1.0, but the monoblock lnb has DiSEqC 2.0 on the box. Is that a problem?

Please explain. Thanks.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
You need to put the RH side of the monoblock in the clamp, as you look into the dish, & align the dish to Hotbird.

You need to turn on Diseqc & assign Hotbird to Diseqc A & Astra to Diseqc B (or vice versa)

I dont think you need to worry about Diseqc versions

G

guest user

Would anyone reconmend me a receiver that can be easily patched for use at 19.2/13e for under £200

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
I have tried to do so (I think a tree is causing problems for Hotbird or it’s just unbelievably hard to catch), but how do you explain the switching making no difference (I put it on the 4 different ones)?

And what about the strange case of swapping RH and LH side in clamp and still catching Astra without making changes in setup? Although I think Astra was weak when I did this - I should not be catching it at all right?

Thanks very much for your help.