Box Required for Intelsat reception

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky box getting freeview UK TV until it went down one week ago in Costa del Sol Southern Spain 1.3 meter dish.
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
why don't they just sell us the viewing rights we all want telly in Spain and would happily pay a licence fee

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky box getting freeview UK TV until it went down one week ago in Costa del Sol Southern Spain 1.3 meter dish.
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
is there any way we can pick up the channels from the new Satalitte?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
and you think they will bother ?

Yup sooner or later.

Whilst it was just a few hundred hobbyists in the know it was just a minor inconvenience.

Now its mainstream - even Gibraltar Cable is known to be taking the 27.5W signals now they cant get 28E.

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
why don't they just sell us the viewing rights we all want telly in Spain and would happily pay a licence fee
They just don't have viewing rights abroad,for many reasons.
You can invest the amount of a licence fee,or even less,in a good uk VPN to watch Iplayer.
Or even better,some free browser plugins are apparently working with Iplayer

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
is there any way we can pick up the channels from the new Satalitte?

A much bigger dish. Something over 4 or 5m should give you a starting point.

No thats not a prediction - that would be the starting point, ie put progressively bigger dishes up until you find one that works.

And thats the problem - its an expensive game but until someone does just that and we get a positive report its all guesswork

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

They are not permitted to thats why.

Its been a historic accident that reception has been possible over much greater areas than the PSB broadcasters will admit to. Now technology has improved with advances in satellite technical engineering and its being used to limit the undesirable overspill

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yup sooner or later.

Whilst it was just a few hundred hobbyists in the know it was just a minor inconvenience.

Now its mainstream - even Gibraltar Cable is known to be taking the 27.5W signals now they cant get 28E.

It surprise me that Gib don't actually have a properly negotiated right to some means of getting UK TV legitimately as they are a British Overseas Territory and are represented in the European Parliament by the same bod wot does South West England.

A special case, if ever there was one.

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
They just don't have viewing rights abroad,for many reasons.
You can invest the amount of a licence fee,or even less,in a good uk VPN to watch Iplayer.
Or even better,some free browser plugins are apparently working with Iplayer
we live in the mountains. No power no telephone and Satalitte signal is not good

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
A much bigger dish. Something over 4 or 5m should give you a starting point.

No thats not a prediction - that would be the starting point, ie put progressively bigger dishes up until you find one that works.

And thats the problem - its an expensive game but until someone does just that and we get a positive report its all guesswork
will it be posted here. I will ask my husband to try the bigger dish thing maybe.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Any positive reports would be posted here on the forum yes, but with the costs running into thousands of € for each new bigger dish size with absolutely no guarantee of success dont hold your breath....

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
Any positive reports would be posted here on the forum yes, but with the costs running into thousands of € for each new bigger dish size with absolutely no guarantee of success dont hold your breath....
ill try a box and take a chance for now and. Hope

Martillo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.35m offset dish @ 28.2E, generic 1.0m offset dish @ 27.5W, NOS 80cm dish @ 30W, generic 80cm dish @ 19.2E, Tooway 70cm dish @ 9E KaSat, Standard SKY minidish, SKY+HD, Sony VTX-750U, Panasonic DSB-30, Panasonic DSB-20, Technomate TM-5402HD M2 CI Super+, Technomate TM-5402HD M3 CI Super+, Starland ST135 (analogue).
My Location
South East Essex / South Central Spain / Far East Portugal
TM5402HD, Bl

TM5402HD, Blade7000s, Technomate 6902,7102 and the new TMF3/5, CT 4100 DrHD F15,D15, Grand & Grand Triple.

Anyone have one for sale?

ill try a box and take a chance for now and. Hope

It is easy to align & set up although Hispasat 30W is very close and you can end up with that instead. You can scan the satellite so you will know which satellite you have.

The Technomate TM5402HD works fine and the picture quality seems good, plus of course you can get the HD channels.

There are some things you should note:

There is no EPG
There is no text
There is no red button
THE BISS CODES CHANGED AGAIN LAST NIGHT (26 Feb) so no reception for the time being (and that includes radio). They last changed in late Oct 2013 so possibly every 4 months, but it could get more frequent.

As has been suggested above the encryption could be made more secure or the service could be moved to another satellite or discontinued altogether.

Also bear in mind that the actual satellite at 27.5W is also nearing the end of it's operational life so it is unlikely that the current set up will be available beyond 2 years from now. When it needs replacing I reckon the opportunity will be taken to change the encryption to something better, on possibly a different satellite at a different position in the sky, with preparation for that going on behind the scenes now. It is possible that nothing will change while the current satellite remains in service, except regular changes of the BISS key - don't think that they don't know what is going on.

So basically 'buyer beware'.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
THE BISS CODES CHANGED AGAIN LAST NIGHT (26 Feb) so no reception for the time being (and that includes radio). They last changed in late Oct 2013 so possibly every 4 months, but it could get more frequent.

They only need to change the codes every couple of days and people will soon lose interest. Just like TPS used to do the last few months of their operation

chuzupop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Motril, Andalucia, Spain
It is easy to align & set up although Hispasat 30W is very close and you can end up with that instead. You can scan the satellite so you will know which satellite you have.

The Technomate TM5402HD works fine and the picture quality seems good, plus of course you can get the HD channels.

There are some things you should note:

There is no EPG
There is no text
There is no red button

As has been suggested above the encryption could be made more secure or the service could be moved to another satellite or discontinued altogether.

Also bear in mind that the actual satellite at 27.5W is also nearing the end of it's operational life so it is unlikely that the current set up will be available beyond 2 years from now. When it needs replacing I reckon the opportunity will be taken to change the encryption to something better, on possibly a different satellite at a different position in the sky, with preparation for that going on behind the scenes now. It is possible that nothing will change while the current satellite remains in service, except regular changes of the BISS key - don't think that they don't know what is going on.

So basically 'buyer beware'.
hi yes thanks for all this and I do understand . When they do change the Biss codes is it easy to readjust after and how do I get the new codes?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Soliciting for, and Providing, Keys is not something we permit here, so you'll need to extend your search further across the Internet for a detailed answer.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
hi yes thanks for all this and I do understand . When they do change the Biss codes is it easy to readjust after and how do I get the new codes?

It can be weeks or months before they are found., and if Arqiva start changing the keys every couple of days.....

Martillo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.35m offset dish @ 28.2E, generic 1.0m offset dish @ 27.5W, NOS 80cm dish @ 30W, generic 80cm dish @ 19.2E, Tooway 70cm dish @ 9E KaSat, Standard SKY minidish, SKY+HD, Sony VTX-750U, Panasonic DSB-30, Panasonic DSB-20, Technomate TM-5402HD M2 CI Super+, Technomate TM-5402HD M3 CI Super+, Starland ST135 (analogue).
My Location
South East Essex / South Central Spain / Far East Portugal

It is easy to update the codes - I can only speak from experience of using the Technomate TM5402HD but the codes are held in a table and you associate the channels with the appropriate line in the table. When the codes change you only have to update that line in the table once and it applies to all the channels.

However as pointed out you will not find the codes on here or anyone willing to discuss them or obtaining them - you are on your own with that I'm afraid. They can be found and as has also been pointed out you just have to wait until they become available which can take some time, no-one ever knows.

One obvious solution given you have a 1.3 metre dish is get a paid for Sky subscription - it won't bring back BBC in any shape or form but if you get Sky HD it will bring back (so I am told) ITV2, 3 &4 in HD only and possibly some other HD channels, but not BBC1-4HD and probably not ITV1HD or Channel4HD because they are on the 'dodgy' system discussed above. All the subscription non-Freeview Sky channels are on the Pan European beam and our signal strength/quality is actually much better since the new Astra 2E satellite came online.

They only need to change the codes every couple of days and people will soon lose interest. Just like TPS used to do the last few months of their operation

That crossed my mind too. The code change prior to the change in October was July-ish but they could get much more frequent now that Astra 2E is online and everyone who can't receive the UK beam is scrabbling around for other solutions.