Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Globalstar 9500 LAN Receiver
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Hi All,

Wondering if you can help me. I had an issue where my Dreambox 500 stopped working a couple of weeks ago, so I've sourced an Openbox and a Dreambox Dm800 but am having problems with both devices leading me to believe there might be a problem with my dish/motor or cable.

At random intervals either when setting the transponder or trying to move the dish (it's a motorised 80cm) the box randomly reboots itself. This has been seen on both receivers so I assume it's not these at fault?

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before where the motor or cable is causing the dish to reset?

I'm keen not to spend any more money getting this sorted unless it's a definite fix. If it appears to be dish/motor related can anyone recommend someone in South Birmingham who's' reliable and experienced with motorised setups?

Thanks
Andy

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Do you get the same reset issues if you disconnect the satellite dish cable? You say randomly... only when changing channels or when watching? All receivers these days have short circuit protection (or at least should have), so you would generally just lose signal as opposed to a whole receiver reset.

Have you tried a different image on the DM800?

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Captain Jack said:
Do you get the same reset issues if you disconnect the satellite dish cable? You say randomly... only when changing channels or when watching? All receivers these days have short circuit protection (or at least should have), so you would generally just lose signal as opposed to a whole receiver reset.

Have you tried a different image on the DM800?

Hi Captain

The issue doesn't occur without the satellite cable plugged in, so it would seem like it's something to do with dish/motor/lnb. The issue only occurs when changing channel or sending a command to rotate the dish. When tuned to one particular channel the box stays on without problems.

Have tried multiple images on the dreambox and firware revisions on the openbox but get reboots each time.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Strange. Could be a number of things:

1) Short in the cable (check all F connectors)
2) Water in cable (replace cable)
3) Faulty motor (try bypassing the motor with the cable straight to LNB and see if the issue is still there)
4) Faulty LNB (replace LN:cool:
5) A combination of the above
6) None of the above

A nonymous

Reaction score
I've seen this with the Openbox but never with the DM800.

If your using a Technomate motor or any other brand based on the SG2100a motor, then the openbox is not going to move the dish, it will just keep resetting the box. basically the box hasn't got the balls to move the dish, the PSU in the box just isn't upto it.

If your DM800 is a clone that could also be the reason, if the psu isn't strong enough. It all depends on who you got the DM800 off that decides how good the quality of the build is, unless its an original box.

When my motor packed up on my setup the box just didn't move it, it didn't cause it to either come up on the screen as a tune failure or it just did nothing.

Nano

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
nano said:
I've seen this with the Openbox but never with the DM800.

If your using a Technomate motor or any other brand based on the SG2100a motor, then the openbox is not going to move the dish, it will just keep resetting the box. basically the box hasn't got the balls to move the dish, the PSU in the box just isn't upto it.

If your DM800 is a clone that could also be the reason, if the psu isn't strong enough. It all depends on who you got the DM800 off that decides how good the quality of the build is, unless its an original box.

When my motor packed up on my setup the box just didn't move it, it didn't cause it to either come up on the screen as a tune failure or it just did nothing.

Nano

Thanks Nano

An interesting point as the DM800 may be a clone (based on what I paid for it) however, the problem has only started since a couple of power cuts in quick succession early one morning that killed my DM500. (I was wondering if this may have also damaged the motor)

I previously had a Gobalstar 9500 and this drove the dish fine. It's not that the openbox/DM800 can't move the dish, as on occasion it will work fine and the dish rotates between 13 and 19.2 quite happily. The other times, (approx 65-70%) it will reset the box when trying to move the dish. (Hence the reason I've only got 13 and 19 set up so far)

Thanks
Andy

A nonymous

Reaction score
I would check the ends of the coax. I have seen the movement of the dish dislodge the f connector slightly which can cause the outer brad to touch the inner core. This would cause a short, although i wouldn't have thought it would cause the box to shut down.

Also check the cable for any tight radius bends (this can damage the inner core) or any damage or cracking of the outer sheath which could cause water ingress.

Failing that as captain jack has pointed out, it may be a faulty motor or lnb.

i am assuming by your profile you are in the Bournville/stirchly area?

Nano

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
nano said:
I would check the ends of the coax. I have seen the movement of the dish dislodge the f connector slightly which can cause the outer brad to touch the inner core. This would cause a short, although i wouldn't have thought it would cause the box to shut down.

Also check the cable for any tight radius bends (this can damage the inner core) or any damage or cracking of the outer sheath which could cause water ingress.

Failing that as captain jack has pointed out, it may be a faulty motor or lnb.

i am assuming by your profile you are in the Bournville/stirchly area?

Nano

Thanks Nano, will check out what I can when I get access to a ladder. Postcode in profile is correct, I'm in Cotteridge.

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
chutuk said:
Thanks Nano

An interesting point as the DM800 may be a clone (based on what I paid for it) however, the problem has only started since a couple of power cuts in quick succession early one morning that killed my DM500. (I was wondering if this may have also damaged the motor)

I previously had a Gobalstar 9500 and this drove the dish fine. It's not that the openbox/DM800 can't move the dish, as on occasion it will work fine and the dish rotates between 13 and 19.2 quite happily. The other times, (approx 65-70%) it will reset the box when trying to move the dish. (Hence the reason I've only got 13 and 19 set up so far)

Thanks
Andy

I wonder if its failing to move the dish when you are trying to move the dish onto a H polarity channel. That requires 18V for the lnb switching, which will stress the power supply more than the 13V needed for a V polarity channel if the psu is marginal. Add in the power needed for the motor and if the psu is close to its maximum output it might be enough to reset the receiver.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its a common issue with the Openbox/Skybox. Now everybody knows why they are so cheap.

you get what you pay for these days.

Nano