Brand new box problem

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Last year i brought some Panasonic & Sony boxes of some guy brand new boxed some of the boxes i sold i had no complaints

Today i was going to sell a Panasonic TUDSB31 to a m8 so i thought i would show him how to do a software upgrade

the problem is when i power up the box. after 25secs the box goes into standby

i have tried it couple of times same problem anyone know why it does that

its a brand new box & was never connected

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that there is anything you can do without opening the case, it isn't unknown for receivers to be dead on arrival. Bear in mind also that this receiver is several years old, even though it hasn't been used, some components do not improve with long periods of storage, I believe that capacitors fall into this catagory and form an essential part of the power supply.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Some Panasonic 31s shipped with faulty power supplies, they went wrong very quickly, the initial symptoms of it being bad blockines on some channels and eventually in some cases unable to power up.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A forced software update usually fixes this,see if the receiver stays on longer than 25 secs while updating software.........brian

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dishdoctor said:
A forced software update usually fixes this,see if the receiver stays on longer than 25 secs while updating software.........brian

When updating the software it takes between 10-15mins once it done that it on standby. i turn it on (green light) after 25secs it back to standby )(-red

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
bollywood said:
When updating the software it takes between 10-15mins once it done that it on standby. i turn it on (green light) after 25secs it back to standby )(-red
During the 25 seconds is there enough time to read the system details menu to see if a update has taken place.....try this...hold the back up button on the digibox in as you unplug the mains,keeping the button pressed,reconnect and update again.....what have you got to loose.......brian

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dishdoctor said:
During the 25 seconds is there enough time to read the system details menu to see if a update has taken place.....try this...hold the back up button on the digibox in as you unplug the mains,keeping the button pressed,reconnect and update again.....what have you got to loose.......brian

The software iam getting is 27a7* after following the above info the problem is still the same. but now when i press Service and 5 then 6 i am taken into the favourite menu. it say seaching channels then the box goes off )(-red

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The software has not updated.Are you in the uk?,The software should read 3.1a5 or maybe 3.1a6...until you update it the digibox will not work correctly if at all...brian

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have double checked the software it is 2.7a 2* i am in Buckinghamshire UK i have tried over 10 times to upgrade the box but no luck 'O'-red is there anything else i can try if not it looks like it going to end up on Ebay O-no

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whereabouts in Bucks Bollywood, if you can't manage to get the upgrade sorted, it may be worthwhile taking or sending it over to Horizon at Basingstoke, they can repair it for you.

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
Whereabouts in Bucks Bollywood, if you can't manage to get the upgrade sorted, it may be worthwhile taking or sending it over to Horizon at Basingstoke, they can repair it for you.

I am in Marlow i will try them. do you know how much i can get for it if i sell it like this. as the guy i wanted to sell it to as taken another working box of me

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't bother trying to sell a faulty box, you will get next to nothing for it, may as well bite the bullet and get it repaired. You can post it to them if you dion't want to drive over there.

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A dsb 31 has an Ebay value of about 40/50 pounds,a simple repair including two way p@p is going to cost at least 40 pounds,if it really was a brand new box,then if you could try on another dish to update,unlikely but still worth a try,it is not unusual for the update to fail,but a good sign is that it completes the update cycle and switches off after approx 10 minutes.This happened to me,failure to update after three attempts,holding back up before unplugging and replugging worked after a further 3 attempts......percy vere mon poppadom....thats latin you know.........brian

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Just a thought,during the 25 seconds the box is on do you get any channels,like sky news or bbc,you did mention searching for channels so perhaps not.Turn the digibox on,press Services,4,0,1,Select to enter engineers menu,choose Lnb options,the 4 boxes should read 9.75....10.60....ON....ON....if this is not correct the box will not update..............duet et mon droit....sacret bleu.........brian

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dishdoctor said:
Just a thought,during the 25 seconds the box is on do you get any channels,like sky news or bbc,you did mention searching for channels so perhaps not.Turn the digibox on,press Services,4,0,1,Select to enter engineers menu,choose Lnb options,the 4 boxes should read 9.75....10.60....ON....ON....if this is not correct the box will not update..............duet et mon droit....sacret bleu.........brian

when i press service 4,0,1, all i get is picture setting menu sometimes i get less then 25secs box goes of i have a 1metre motor dish so i think the signal should be good. i take it to my brothers house and try it there :)

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Press......Services......4......0......1......select........thats 5 pushes......brian

digidude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
loads of stuff, i'll get round to listing it all
My Location
De Cymru
i know im a newbie to this forum but, by connecting it to a 1M dish you are also picking up extra 'noise'. connect the box to a friends normal minidish and try the update, also try keeping the box somewhere cool (we used to find that you could get further from a customers house first thing in the morning when boxes in the van were cold before they packed in) for a few hours before trying

hope it helps digidude

bollywood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
digidude said:
i know im a newbie to this forum but, by connecting it to a 1M dish you are also picking up extra 'noise'. connect the box to a friends normal minidish and try the update, also try keeping the box somewhere cool (we used to find that you could get further from a customers house first thing in the morning when boxes in the van were cold before they packed in) for a few hours before trying

hope it helps digidude

thanks i try that :)

sting

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
bollywood said:
when i press service 4,0,1, all i get is picture setting menu sometimes i get less then 25secs box goes of i have a 1metre motor dish so i think the signal should be good. i take it to my brothers house and try it there :)
if u take the cable form the lnb on the dish out the back off the box then switch it on then try menu 4 0 1 select. it will stay on. but another thing is that irs ur lmb if it's a very very new'sh l m b thats wot would be wrong i actyall install satellie's 4 a living so dont slag me off too early