Brand new to this..please help

nigpit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Std Sky plus
My Location
SW England
Hi There,
This is all very new to me and I'm not very technically minded so please bear with me, but I hope you can help. I was in Spain last week watching Premiership football and thought I want that! Unfortunately that is as much as I know except for a few questions. I have a std sky+ set up at the mo. I suppose what I would like to know is :-

1) Is this likely to be more hassle than its worth trying to do this?
2) Is there a basic start up package?
3) Is there a recommended company to use?
4) How much will it cost?
5) Will I have to try and bolt a lunar landing size dish on my house?
6) Could I adapt my current dish?
7) Can you get all the Prem games on one dish as I barely have room for one more?
8) Is it legal?
I would be very grateful if somebody could help.
Many Thanks

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I would have thought that you need Sky Sports. They show Premier League football. Try their web site or give them a ring.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
1, no its easy
2, erm i suppose there is, but as with all things... always get the best you can afford
3, not really, people on here will recommend lots of retailers that do sat equipment
4, starts at £150 up to £1000?? maybe more if your looking for ET :-rofl2
5, not really, but a 1.1m dish is a good start, although in the south you could use a 80-90cm with no problems
6, yes, you could but see below
7, yes
8, as long as its for personal use, its fine (not legal in pubs or clubs etc)

I would recommend a motorised dish because the football is available on more than one satellite, you may find that you do use one satellite more than others.

But as we on here have found out, the rights to screen premiership footy move around as different people bid for it and also companies buy one another out. ie France telecom/TPS recently

but dont despair, a motor for your dish is cheap. the problem is setting it up, if you cant or dont fancy aligning it yourself you have to pay someone. this can be between £50-£150 extra on top of the cost of your equipment

Receiver £80+
Dish and LNB £60
Cables and connectors £10
Motor £60

above prices are for a basic system.

now subscription to premiership compared to sky at least is cheap.
DigitalALB 12 months £168
unlike sky though... you choose what match to watch on Saturday :) they show them all
ART sport 12 months £75
same as above, but im told it moving satellites?(reason for a motor ;)) you will have to ask others about this. i have to admit im not up to date on the changes

there are others too.

PS
irart
i cancelled sky ages ago, i support Man united and i havent missed a game yet.... and i havent watched football on sky since the middle of last year!
thats why i cancelled, was paying £46 a month for nothing :(

also by watching Premier sport portal on 19.2e although its a German channel it has English commentry :)

nigpit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Std Sky plus
My Location
SW England
RedDevil,
Many thanks for the time you have taken with this very helpful reply. You have certainly given me a good point to start from. I'll start making some calls and see how I get on.
By the way if I did get this sort of package could I get Sky as well or would I need to keep my current Sky+ set up?
Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Keep your Sky setup as it is. :)

Have a look at our supporting advertisers by clicking on the link in my signature for some of the best deals around. :)

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
But be wary,some councils don't like you having 2 dishes up on your house'O'-red

Like Red has said,you won't look back once your setup,you can also catch german/spanish footy aswell.As a bonus,the film channels are second to none

nigpit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Std Sky plus
My Location
SW England
Rolfw, Oily thanks for the info.
Had a quick look at the adverts and will start making some calls.
Thanks again

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Sky+ is best left to its own devices, the menu is worth it alone.

although you will have access to more channels than you can shake a stick at with your new setup.... finding programs is a bit of a task at the beggining.

you dont get a 14 day menu like sky or other PVR boxes about, you basically get now and next :(
saying that there are good websites that do the hard work for you.... for football bookmark [this] :D

thats just to get you started heheh

any more questions you know where to find us all ;)

nigpit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Std Sky plus
My Location
SW England
So I will need to keep paying Sky £46 a month?
Also if I call one of the suppliers Rolfw mentioned would they send somebody round to have a look or could they quote me for a complete package over the phone? I'm just a bit worried they might 'see me coming' and rub their hands together.
Thanks

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
So I will need to keep paying Sky £46 a month?

Not really no... if you get one of the packages above then you can cancel Sky Sports... that saves some money.

the other thing you should know, is that depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could receive football for free.....

if your familier with your PC and networking you could buy a Dreambox (or other linux based receiver)
this means you can send files to your receiver and also your receiver can have its own internet connection opening lot of doors ;)

but learn to walk before you run.... as with everything in life :)

if you want hassle free viewing and dont mind paying for a subscription card then buy a normal receiver and fixed dish to 13e.... this is also the cheapest option.

if you want a true satellite gadget and like to spend evenings and weekends tweaking and playing then get a Dreambox with motorised dish.

be aware though.. the first option is almost a plug in and watch situation, but the last option is more complex.... even to the point of ripping out your hair at times LOL... but its better in the long run.

all depends on what you want :D

nigpit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Std Sky plus
My Location
SW England
Food for thought certainly. Will keep doing my research and keep you posted.
Thanks a lot.