Broadcasting legend John Peel dies aged 65

N

net1

John Peel, the veteran DJ who discovered dozens of major bands during a broadcasting career spanning 40 years, has died after suffering a heart attack.
Peel, who was 65, was taken ill during a working holiday with his wife, Sheila, in the city of Cuzco, Peru, and never recovered.

The Radio 1 controller, Andy Parfitt, described Peel as a "broadcasting legend".

"I am deeply saddened by his death, as are all who work at Radio 1," he said.

My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Shame, but we are all getting older. Those were the days, pirates broadcastes all over the medium wave dial.

RIP John PEEL

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A very sad loss, used to like his chat broadcasts as well, very few broadcasters can laim to have had the same impact on such a wide range of people.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I was absolutely shocked when I heard te news. Like most people I have listened to Peel over the years, I can remember his Perfumed Garden (an afternoon programme I seem to remember) followed by his evening show.

I haven't heard his R1 programme for many years but enjoyed his R4 Home Truths whenever I was around.

A huge, horrendous, irreplaceable loss.

PaulR