Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I do not normally promote stuff on here but having been registered with the TPS for many years and it's effectiveness is now reduced substantially owing to IP telephone services, when the free BT service Nuisance Calls Protect service 1572 was launched earlier in the year I opted for it on-line.

Since it's instigation I have not had one IP generated telephone call with all those silly made up prefix numbers. This is because they are filtered out en mass at the exchange. The second line of defence is the personal blacklist.

If you receive an unwanted call you simply call 1572 select option one and block that number and from that second, that number will not be able to contact you direct but will have to leave a 1572 message. The real bonus is that even with a call from a withheld number, you can still block that number from contacting you again despite not knowing what the number is, by dialling as before but before receiving another call, because the digital exchange knows where the call came from despite the CLI information being withheld.

Or you can just block all withheld numbers but of course obviously such a blanket rule has some considerable dangers.

This morning I did however unfortunately receive a not very nice call from a so called Financial Investment Group using a withheld number which normally I do not answer. The man with a posh voice, worryingly knew details about me, my wife and specific details of our finances and when I would not play ball by admitting any positive response to the information he was throwing at me and then refusing to let him speak to my wife he called me a low life. I thought I had misheard and asked him to repeat it, he said he knew that I lived in Blackburn and I have to admit I did feel vulnerable.

Having spoken to BT about the incident it was then that they revealed that I could still block him by taking the above action. I have to say It felt good knowing that he will have to get the company he works for to change their number before trying to phish information from me again.

Register your interest

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds very useful indeed.

I'm getting plagued by the "free Boiler" merchants at present, so will check if my VOIP host has any similar features available.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I've found the same service available on Talk Talk, my current ISP.
One morning I had 6 scam calls, from Indian call centres, so I went into my ISP account, which I rarely do, and found the options to block all calls, from witheld telephone numbers, and the option to block individual numbers, since which time I haven't been bothered.
No doubt these scammers will find a different route, but for now I'm left in peace.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I now systematically answer the phone in English if I don't recognize the number (I live in France) and my general policy is to pretend I can't speak French at all - throws them right off their script. If they cunningly switch to speaking English I tell them that their English is bad and that I can't understand them at all :). I blocked withheld numbers some time ago.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
We have a BT8500 handset, which is designed to block all calls unless they either announce their name before our phone rings or it's in our address book. An occasional cold caller does get through (I think we had 2 in the past 1.5 years) but overall it does a very good job.

I found TPS utterly useless.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I do not get many now,
Yesterday was the 1st one I had received in 3 weeks I asked him what was the weather like in Pakistan & then hung up :D