1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT hit by £42m fine from Ofcom

Discussion in 'Tech News feeds.' started by Topper, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Topper

Topper Amo Amas Amant Admin Staff Member

My Satellite Setup:
    IDD CI24 ECONO MM Penta 1.20 Galaxy II
    1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 25 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
    My Location:
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    BT has been hit with a £42m fine from telecoms regulator Ofcom and has set aside £300m to repay providers for delays in installing high-speed lines.

Ofcom said the fine was the largest it had ever handed down.

It found BT's Openreach division had cut compensation payments to telecoms providers for delays in installing the lines between early 2013 and late 2014.

Openreach chief executive Clive Selley said the firm "apologised wholeheartedly"for the mistakes.

The investigation found BT had broken rules put in place to counter its "significant market power" by cutting the payments.

Gaucho Rasmussen, Ofcom's investigations director, said: "These high-speed lines are a vital part of this country's digital backbone.

"We found BT broke our rules by failing to pay other telecoms companies proper compensation when these services were not provided on time.

Full story

2. Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper Suffering fools just so you don't have to Staff Member

My Satellite Setup:
    A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
    My Location:
    UK South East
    I wonder if this was the reason any time I had reason to complain to BT (both residential and business lines) for shoddy internet they were quick to infer that Openreach had nothing to do with them ?

3. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Модератор Staff Member

My Satellite Setup:
    See signature
    My Location:
    North Somerset
    Technically BT's line and internet side of business is completely separate from Openreach. They have no more leverage over OR than any other BT based provider.

Allegedly.

Journey likes this.
  4. Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper Suffering fools just so you don't have to Staff Member

My Satellite Setup:
    A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
    My Location:
    UK South East

Ah, so the engineer was simply borrowing the Openreach van when BT bothered to acknowledge the faults existed.