Build Quality

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
is it just me that finds it slightly suspicious that sky boxes always blow or break down after 18 months?

in my time with sky, ive now had 8 receivers (and i need another now!!)

the dreambox goes on year after year.... and never even makes a funny noise or anything.

is our Rupert asking for his boxes to have a life expectancy of his contracts?

or am i an angry paronoid receiver breaker :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The boxes, can only react to the OTA updates Sky send to them, if some of the programming is causing them to fail then that is down to sky or sub contractor of. I have to confess that listening to people at work where a large number of them have sky, it seems odd the large number of stories corroborating the notion that whenever that insurance phonecall comes to say the warranty is running out on such and such a day and if you do not renew you risk etc etc then after not renewing three weeks later the box dies, is really quite alarming. I can see no technical reason for that not to be possible but would they really dare....mmmmmm I think we all know the answer on that one Humping

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This has been mentioned in another thread, but I'm pretty sure that no company of that size would risk doing that, it would also be very time consuming, as they would have to have two different software versions for insured and non-insured. Bearing in mind that there are now something in the region of 8 million subscribers, there are bound to be a large number of people who's boxes fail, particularly if they have Amstrads.;)

I have had one sky+ box break, otherwise all the others I've had have been fine, my very first box, an Amstrad, finally finished life the Christmas before last over at my sister's place, but had a damned good run. ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps they have made the mistake of allowing the MTTF of the componants to be the same of length of time as the insurance policy then:p:-Nooo

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
Reminds me of the old "what's that timer IC doing in a burglar alarm system"
(an old scam where the burglar alarm system stopped working after a pre-defined time).

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
rolfw said:
boxes fail, particularly if they have Amstrads.
well fancy that, my latest box is an Amstrad (but i think you already knew that you little tinker :D )