13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
Hi guys i'm building a j-tag for my ultra. i'm not new to j-tagging. i've studied the diagram for the ultra i've found my interface. now heres my question. can i solder my wires to the interface then termanate them to a female cat5 plug drill a hole in the back of the receiver and mount the plug. then on my printer cord cut the end off and termanate it with a male cat5 plug? then when i want to tag the receiver i just plug in the cable and open jkeys? it seems sound to me, but thats how j-tagging works it doesnt have to make sence to work just done right.
thanx in advance for any insight.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
If by interface you mean the Jtag connector pads on the Fortec, no.

You will require a Jtag buffer to convert your PC parallel port's signals to those recognised by the Fortec's CPU Jtag i/p's and o/p's.

You can buy ready-made interfaces, or make one using the 74HC244 ic.

See h**p://jtag.freewebpage.org/ for constructional details.

Llew

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
thanx for your reply. wow that looks totally different than the diagrams i've been looking at. thanx for the advice i think i'm going to try using the cat5 plugs {male\female} and printer cable and solder str8 to the interface widh me luck i'll let yall know how it works.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
You'll probably crash your box. It won't recognise the data.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Also remember the voltage levels will be incompatible with the STi chip in the Fortec.

If you must connect directly, you have to use series resistors (100 ohms) on the JTAG lines to drop down the voltages (5V - 3.3V).

A rough-and-ready way of doing it, wouldn't risk it myself.

Llew

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
i used 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistors i havent soldered it yet but i did use a wide piece of clear tape and taped the wires to the interface and it connected great. all i got to do is mount the plug{female} to the receiver and solder to the interface. it works really nice. i was'nt to sure about te cat5 plugs. working all the grounds was a pain in the arse to be nice about it.

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
13echo4 said:
i used 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistors i havent soldered it yet but i did use a wide piece of clear tape and taped the wires to the interface and it connected great. all i got to do is mount the plug{female} to the receiver and solder to the interface. it works really nice. i was'nt to sure about te cat5 plugs. working all the grounds was a pain in the arse to be nice about it.
;)

I use this technique often and found it to be reliable on ird's with
sti chipset.-difference, I use a db-9 (serial) connector.
cat-5 cable should work,but being unshielded you should keep the cable short (<200cm),use a printer cable to the stb.
'boxnut'