Building a ground-mount (newbie)

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
I might have to build a ground mount to install my dish that I plan to buy and I was wondering if you would be able to help me. I live in a council flat, however, it's not a high-rise, it's more like a standard house, we have the top floor, our neighbours have the ground floor. We have seperate entrances and our own gardens. I have had to write to the council, as part of the tennancy agreement to see if they will let me put the dish on the side of the house. It will be unsighted from the front. Anyway, to cut to the chase, if they say I can't install it, I will build a ground mount in the garden and cover it up with a plastic sheet, so it just looks I'm storing garden equipment.

There's a few issues really. I've no idea how to build a ground mount, I have no experience with concrete or anything, so any advice on how to build one and the equipment needed would be appreciated. The other issue is that next door have an 8 foot fence, my dish will sat about 10-12 feet from the fence. According to my calculations, the elevation will have to be 27.35 degrees and I was wondering if the fence would obscure the line to the satellite or not? Any help would be appreciated, please. Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depending on the size of the dish (up to 1 metre), a scaffold pole with a bolt through it and concreted into the ground will provide a suitable mount for up to six foot or so.

For the birds in the centre of the arc there should be no problem with the fence, but as they drop off to either side, the elevation angle becomes lower, so for Astra 28.2, you would need to be 8 ft away from a four foot object to clear it, that would of course be the height from the bottom of the dish.

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
Thanks for the help. I've just measure the distance to the fence and it's actually 19ft and the fence is 7ft so it should be happy days. Where do people normally get their poles from and how do they get a bolt through the middle? I feel a bit daft asking such simpleton questions. Also, what size bolt are we talking.

Once again

Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Get your scaffold pole from a friendly building site or scaffold erector, ask them for a couple of clamps as well, they should be sufficient with perhaps a short length of pole bolted to them to prevent the pole twisting in the concrete.

R

Rd100

for a dish up to 1m like rolf said a scaffold pole is best and cheap & most times free

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
I know an 80cm dish is the ideal size but if the council say that I can only have up to 60cm on the wall, is it worth having one. I'm wanting to get Hot Bird and Astra so as I can watch football - I live near Liverpool. As I said originally, I'm prepared to build a ground-mount and stick an 80cm in the garden but if I could get away with it, I'd rather not.

Thank for the help

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Planning regs say 1mtr now. Tell em :)

L.

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
Lancelot said:
Planning regs say 1mtr now. Tell em :)

L.

I know they do but it's a council flat and they can tell me that I can't put one up at all if they want. It's in the tenancy agreement.

R

Rd100

F**k 'em put it up if the say any thing about it take it down for a bit then stick it back up a few weeks later

You Knows It said:
I know they do but it's a council flat and they can tell me that I can't put one up at all if they want. It's in the tenancy agreement.

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
You Knows It said:
I know an 80cm dish is the ideal size but if the council say that I can only have up to 60cm on the wall, is it worth having one. I'm wanting to get Hot Bird and Astra so as I can watch football - I live near Liverpool. As I said originally, I'm prepared to build a ground-mount and stick an 80cm in the garden but if I could get away with it, I'd rather not.

Thank for the help

Does anybody know the answer to this, please? Also, if I was to build a ground mount, how deep would the hole need to be for an 80cm dish and how many bags of sand/concrete would I need?

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
An 80 cm dish will sit on a pallet with a couple of paving slabs when low down, had one sat on a piece of marine ply for a long time, with only some blocks as ballast.

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
rolfw said:
An 80 cm dish will sit on a pallet with a couple of paving slabs when low down, had one sat on a piece of marine ply for a long time, with only some blocks as ballast.
Daft question but what did you use to keep the dish upright? I really appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions. As you can tell, I'm a total novice.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I used a tripod style mount, bolted it to a piece of marine ply and stabilised with blocks.

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
Argh, I get you now, get a tripod, bolt it to a pallet and throw a couple of paving slabs on the pallets as a ballast. Cheers, might be an easier option that digging holes and setting cement. Somebody told me that I'd be alright to put a plastic sheet over the satellite to disquise it and I'd still get reception, do you reckon that's correct? Time to look for a cheap tripod.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes with a thin plastic sheet. :)

I'll try and dig out a photo. :)

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
youknowsit,

i also live in a upstairs flat, i have a sky dish on the wall which was never a problem and a 88cm dish on a pole in the garden and the only time i asked the council about sat dishes was when i asked them (for the first time) could i put 1mtr dish on my wall, they said yes,so i stuck a 1.1 mtr dish on my wall about 4 years ago, now the 1.1 is also on a pole in the garden, i am now sometime in the near future going to stick a 1.6mtr dish in the garden,i never see the landlords and they never come round my place, i hope you get on with your neighbours, that does help.

regards john

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
the near future going to stick a 1.6mtr dish in the garden,

Hope it's not a 'Fortecstar' as they haven't been reported as one of the best.

L.:)

grahamd180

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 110,Technomate1500ci super,v-box,Jaeger 1224,Dragon Cam,Cas3,Digitalb card,Conax cam,Lots more in shed!
My Location
East Midlands
Don't know whether this is any help?:-doh!

You Knows It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wirral
The council have given me permission, so it's sound. Thanks to all those who have helped.