Building clearance?

gpcramins

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Looking for general FTA info
My Location
USA
Hello folks,

I am currently stationed in Guam and after being fed up with the local cable service decided to plunk down the cash for 2 C band antennas to receive Asiasat 3S and Panamsat 8 (which will be switched to NSS 5 when I receive the Powervu receiver from the exchange for AFN reception). The install date is 01 Feb and I have been outside figuring elevation and azimuth settings for my location. My question is how much clearance should I have from my residence? The reason I ask is that I live in government housing, and although I have clearance to put the dishes on the roof (which would require a non penetrating mount and I would have to build it myself), I have some space in my yard which would be better for my application. If the received signal were in a perfect circle (the same diameter as my dish, 6 feet), it would clear my roof by 7 feet, do you guys think I would have reception problems? NSS 5 is at an altitude of 43.5 degrees (azimuth 106 true) at my location and about 10 degrees above my roof from where I would mount the dish. I know Panamsat 8 will work fine, as it is about 60 degrees in elevation so all the dish has to do is pretty much point up, and Asiasat 3s has no obstructions as it looks over my front yard at 42 degrees elevation, azimuth setting of 254 true. Also, as we get hammered by typhoons periodically, it would be easier for me to remove the dish in the yard as opposed to my roof. For those who advocate a larger dish, 6 feet works fine here, and I am only about 810 nautical miles above the equator, well in the footprint, and you don't need a larger dish to receive these sats. One more question, the local dealer supplies a receiver labeled "Chietta", likely a Chinese clone of one of the more popular receivers. Although it seems to work well (demonstration), I will likely replace it with a Fortec Star or Coolsat 5000, any advice here? Thanks for any info, and by the way, after reading through these forums and sounding knowledgable when I entered the store, the price for installation dropped by a few hundred dollars...

Garry

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As long as you have a bore sight the size of the dish, which clears the building, you will be fine. :)