bulgarian holiday (anybody been)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
this summer,
i'm off to bulgaria sunney beach, majestic hotel.
anybody been to resort/hotel ? what's it like?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I haven't been to the actual Bulgaria - I worked in a bar owned by a bulgarian who beat-up his wife and terrorised his siblings. Nice :-( (various kinsmen popping over .. end then disappearing into the night - all a bit odd).

Personally, if I were you, I would never put anything in the room safe :eek: Nefarious ex-soviet activities do not die overnight. Berlin being a good example of that some ten+ years later.

Bulgaria (proper) though, looks like a stunningly beautiful place and I hope you have a great holiday.

Mark.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
mljgmljg said:
I haven't been to the actual Bulgaria - I worked in a bar owned by a bulgarian who beat-up his wife and terrorised his siblings. Nice :-( (various kinsmen popping over .. end then disappearing into the night - all a bit odd).

Personally, if I were you, I would never put anything in the room safe :eek: Nefarious ex-soviet activities do not die overnight. Berlin being a good example of that some ten+ years later.
Mark.

thnx mark youve really cheered me up:(

there's a gang of us that go on holiday every year (not the yob kind)
just so many couples with kid's and family's and as it was my turn to chose picked bulgaria (as it's somewhere ive alway's fancied going) not so sure now though, hopefully some other members will put my mind at ease.:-ohmy

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
My wife has been there, although this was about 15 years ago.
She went to a resort called Albena which is on the Black Sea, near Bulgaria's second city Varna.
Good hotels and good food (believe me my wife is a food critic) weather beautiful and golden sand on the beaches.
Just hope it's not changed too much, have a nice one.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I was at Nessebar a couple of years ago - a fabulous bit of coast. Learn a few words of Bulgarian and the locals will love you to bits! (Although the first time I tried the shop keeper got a bit upset as my accent was nearer Russian not Bulgarian!)

Once you get there, find a bar or offie the locals go to and you almost cant spend your money. We found a tiny supermarket where the beer was 15p a bottle - its a lot more in the tourist shops though. Dont expect gourmet food - its ok but nothing special there.

We went to Sunny Beach a couple of times - its the next resort round the bay from Nessebar - some of the hotels look a bit like stalinist tower blocks from the outside, but they are reasonably spead out and not packed together like the concrete canyons you get in south spain.

If you are planning to hire a car be warned, almost all the road signs are in cyrillic, and the coast road is the main drag between Turkey and Romania so is horribly busy with lorries at times.I'll dig some photos out when Ive got a minute and post some of the scenes across the bay from Nessebar.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
cheers m8
the hotel is fairly new (built last year so should be okay):)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh yes whilst I remember - you cant get Bulgarian Lev currency in the UK.

Either: change 20 quid or so into lev at the airport and accept the poor rate you get. When we got to Nessebar the banks & post office were shut, and we were stuck without money for an afternoon!

Or find a hotel money change bureax as soon as you get there - they are rather more common in Sunny Beach than in tiny Nessebar.

DONT be tempted to use the little change booths in the street - we saw several people arguing after being ripped off.

If you are flying into Bourgas be advised the coach transfer can take you through some fairly run down areas on the way up the coast, but the holiday resorts are lovely and properly maintained. (We looked at each other on the coach and said "Where the hell have we ended up?")

On your way home get your booze BEFORE you get to the airport - the duty free at Bourgas was EMPTY when we were there, (and the airport is tiny).

:-lmao

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Take your camera - thers lots of big satellite dishes to snap for the "dishes on holiday" thread - you will find a couple of my Bulgarian ones in there if you go and have a peek.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
steven, cheers m8
Ani rated the Majestic Hotel and Apartments as follows:Cleanliness
grade5.gif
Staff
grade5.gif
Food
grade4.gif
Entertainment
grade3.gif
Ani said:
Myself and my boyfriend stayed at Majestic Hotel on 30 August 2005 for 14 nights. The time we spent there was very pleasant. We had read that the hotel was no where near finished before we left to travel to Bulgaria so we were concerned about what it would look like when we got there. We were very pleasantly surprised!

The hotel is beautiful, it is very grand and is extremely clean. The middle section of the building (the hotel section) was completely finished and this is where we were staying so we had no problems! Quite a large majority of the self catering apartments where not ready, however the only things that had to be finished were small things such as light fixtures and balcony furniture. We experienced no unsightly building work or loud work noise.

The food is basic but is still nice enough to eat, the menu is quite repetitive but there is always plenty for the holiday makers to eat and if you like the safe options they do make food such as chips, spaghetti with bolognese or other sauces and the deserts are delicious.

Cleanliness - every time I stepped out my room and into the reception area there were workers constantly polishing the large marble floor and we got replacement towels and other bathroom accessories every day. The hotel in my opinion cannot be faulted on its cleanliness!

The staff are extremely helpful, we had a small problem with our safety deposit box key not fitting our safe and they dealt with this in a very friendly and helpful manner.

When we were staying at Majestic Hotel, although the entertainment at the pool during the day by the "Animation" staff was excellent and they tried their very hardest to get everyone to join in, there was no evening entertainment, although when we were leaving they seemed to be working on an entertainment room which I am sure will be a success!

The pool area is so spacious, there are 2 large pools and when we were there, people were coming from other hotels to use the pools at majestic because a lot of the other hotels pool areas are very cramped. The sun lounger area is very spacious and there is plenty of space for many more sun loungers to be laid down. The hotel also has an absolutely amazing view over the beach.

We would definitely consider going to this hotel again and I think next summer they will have it finished to perfection!

bulgaria here i come:D :D :D