bummer!

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
well tg like the roof top set up my misses is bad enough with the dish on a twelve foot pole in the garden on show to all the neighbours it doubles as a parasol in the summer though but if i put it on the roof like that i think my bags would be packed!!!!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Analoguesat said:
:D you might find this house of horrors instructive - even if only how not to do it!!

hxxp://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgalleryview.html
ROFLMAO!!! I just lost an hour by going through every photo on that site with an ever-dropping jawbone!

Outrageous!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Aye theres some excellent pics on Bills site. If you navigate onto the main site, the stories are worth a read too. He's a regular contributor to the alt.tech.digital.tv newsgroup, and some of the stuff he comes up with are priceless.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Analoguesat said:
Aye theres some excellent pics on Bills site. If you navigate onto the main site, the stories are worth a read too. He's a regular contributor to the alt.tech.digital.tv newsgroup, and some of the stuff he comes up with are priceless.
He's doing a nice series presently in Television magazine on satellite distribution systems. Lots of tips for individual setups too.

Llew

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
wolfav said:
well tg like the roof top set up my misses is bad enough with the dish on a twelve foot pole in the garden on show to all the neighbours it doubles as a parasol in the summer though but if i put it on the roof like that i think my bags would be packed!!!!!

Ah well, I don't think it's that bad.....But what I got in plan is really going to upset people in my village: Behind my house there is a steep hill which is part of an old vinyard (belongs to the house), so I am looking to put in a really really big one up there O-Ha Maybe a 3 meter one ot whatever I will find. I reckon they will start rumours that I am a spy.... :D

P.S I hope my dish is not going to be featured in the house of horrors site :cool:

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i found 1 west from inside the house this morning, with a terrible signal quality but about 65% strength, possibly the double glazing, so i'm gonna go outside later and see if i can find it now from out there, as i'm 99.9% certain where it is in the sky.

i saw another post saying it wasnt broadcasting, so possibly thats why i couldnt find it (or that post is a load of bovine excretia, but we'll see)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi georgia_grrl,

Thor is broadcasting, what the poster meant was that there has been a key change and the channels are only available using a MII card at present. One of the best channels to tune in is BBC World,on thor 2, it it a FTA channel, for frequency details and other channels on Thor try this web site:
_http://www.1-west.com/
Best wishes
Mickha

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
T_G said:
P.S I hope my dish is not going to be featured in the house of horrors site :cool:

Only if you make a royal botch up of installing it :D:D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
He's going to need an F'ing large tyre to balance a 3M dish on!!!! O-Ha

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Analoguesat said:
Only if you make a royal botch up of installing it :D:D

Well, the pole had another few feet on top of what is there now, and all sortsd of old analogue TV and Radio areals were on there. I cut the pole just above wherer the motor mounts, and .....

Rolf does reckon it is too exposed, and I think the pole is slightly too thin, but my own good sense prevented me from attaching it to the chimney just behinfd it. I had the feeling that if I did the whole thing would come down one day....

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BGonaSTICK said:
He's going to need an F'ing large tyre to balance a 3M dish on!!!! O-Ha

So if anyone sees a tractor missing a tyre near TG's place, we know who to blame.....

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
Right, ive given up, spent majority of the past few days trying to find any satellite from my roof, and all i can find is 28.2e, which i already have a dish for, so i'm guessing for whatever reason the rest of them arent visible to the dish.

even went out and wasted 40 quid on a sh*tty sat meter to see if i could find anything at all without any luck.

dish now has a fair few scratches on it from being lugged up to the roof and down again, so it's going to the dump, but the receiver will go on ebay, as will the motor.

oh well, the idea was nice while it lasted.

cheers for the help guys.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That's a great shame gg, I wish you were able to take a photograph of your southern aspect. I find it hard to believe that you can only see one satellite on the arc. I have read most of your posts with interest so just before you take things to the tip, you are aware that the sats are in an arc when viewed facing south? thus what I mean is that the elevation changes for each satellite. Only slightly mind you. I vaguely remember you saying there were some trees close to you but I would not expect every single satellite to be blocked!
Borrow a digi camera from a friend or neigbour and take a snap in the direction your existing dish is pointing and post it here. Don't give up yet please.

loftyj

Reaction score
Befor you give up try this. Set your reciver to Arabsat 2C 11938V,27500, 3/4 its at 26E.
If you can recive Eurobird 5 at 28.5E you should recive a signal from there, If you don't either your pole is not vertical or your elevation is wrong. I think there is a Sat: at 30.5E called Arabsat 2B which should also be worth checking.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Don't give up - the sat meter should have helped can't beleive yo can only get 28 deg East.

You can PM me if you want a second opinion - always happy to help fellow Scots bloke out...

A few scratches won't make much difference - only dents. Just think about all the channels you could be watching. Why not forget the motor for a while and try and set the dish up for Hotbird 13 deg east at least that will give you a load of extra channels.

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
motor hasnt seen the roof yet, all i was doing was trying to find satellites with the dish, someone watching the receiver and the silly little meter.

the compass was totally useless as it goes haywire when its near the house (must be a lot of reinforcement in here)

not goin anywher enear the roof now till after tne new year, weather is supposed to be abysmal and i've had enough of freezing my t*ts off up there for now.

might give it a go a couple of weeks into jan, when i have some free time.

i'll try to blag a camera for pics of south, let you see what i'm putting up with.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A collective "attagrrl" has resounded throughout the forum. Keep us posted when you get around to trying again :ny

Llew

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good girl. Let us know when you are starting again - wait for a warm afternoon - its much easier to align a dish when you can feel you fingers :)

On the other topic this thread has been running - botched installations, you might like to have a look at this one:

hxxp://hometown.aol.co.uk/wrightsaerials/myhomepage/newsletter.html

Bill reports this one is 8 floors above a public walkway, and he was called out Christmas Eve to fix it!! I'll post the entire text of his comments off usenet if anyone is interested.

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i found out last night that the sat meter doesnt work at all. hooked it up to the feed from my sky digital dish, which i know is working, and the needle didnt move at all. the only way i could get the needle to move was turn the knob on the front, but then the needle stayed in the exact same spot witht he connection to the dish removed.

i think a trip to get a replacement one is in order.