bummer!

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
well, the dish cant see a single satellit,e checked all the angles, even swapped teh lnb or a kown good one with no luck, rewired the cable run, still no luck

i'm now thinking ground mount was pountless its gotta go higer, somewhere around roof level, so yet more expense, whcih will now have to wait tilll march or something.

oh well, dish and motor in garage, receiver under bed. *shrug*
thanks for the help guys, but it was all on to my daft idea of ground moubnting it to keep it out of the way of the neighbrous who will bitch about it.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi georgia_grrl,
I found your other thread, on this subject, last night and read through it with some interest.
When I first started I was also close to conceding defeat, as I couldn't locate 1 deg west manually, and I was using a sat meter, but apparently not a very good one !!! I thought my receiver was faulty, the LNB even the wire, finally I decided to go back to basics, retrieved my old analogue receiver, an old b/w portable from the attic, set it up with coax cable and power extension, so that it was near the dish, and tried to tune in to the free german analogue stations on Astra 19.2 deg east, and got a picture. What I had wrong was the dish elevation, with it being an offset it had to be practically vertical. When I knew everything was working I tuned the old analogue receiver to TV3, a d2mac channel on Thor 1 deg west and slowly moved the dish to the left, as I was facing it, after gently tilting the dish back and pointing it in the right direction, I got the familiar waves of the d2mac channel, connected up my analogue receiver and found a picture on BBC World news, I then just gently nuidged the dish until I got the strongest signal and tightened everything up.
Providing you can see a clear line of sight, from your dish site, then you should be able to pick up the satellite, depending on your location and dish size.
For information on the frequencies of Thor please visit:
_http://www.1-west.com/

For other satellites please visit:
_http://www.lyngsat.com/

Hopefully you'll have it sorted soon.
Merry Christmas
Mickha

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
very interesting reply you could also call out a satellite instaler on the pretence that you are thinking of a ground mount asking for an instalation price and where the dish would have to be located if he says there is no chance then you know to leave it all packed away on the other hand if he shows you a location either pay the man (which is what i did) or have another go yourself but i know from experience that the time i spend with a dish i could have gone to work and paid a profesional to get it right

paying hurts though!!!!!!!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
georgia_grrl said:
well, the dish cant see a single satellit,e checked all the angles, even swapped teh lnb or a kown good one with no luck, rewired the cable run, still no luck

i'm now thinking ground mount was pountless its gotta go higer, somewhere around roof level, so yet more expense, whcih will now have to wait tilll march or something.

oh well, dish and motor in garage, receiver under bed. *shrug*
thanks for the help guys, but it was all on to my daft idea of ground moubnting it to keep it out of the way of the neighbrous who will bitch about it.

Hey Georgia

Look, if it is the elevation it should not be a big deal to find out. You might not have seen it, but for many years I used to have "longest thread contender" under my name, and this was because I had the same problem :D .
To be absolutely sure do the following thing: Download the calculating gizmo from http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm
Enter your lat/long position in the Antenna Alignment page. Put in a sat that you want to see, 28 east or 19 east etc. You will see the required angle.
Get a bit of cardboard and cut yourself a triangle with this angle on one side. Make sure the side pointing to the sky is at least a foot long. Then you go to where the dish and motor were supposed to be, and look along the edge of this angle. If you see clear sky, then you should be able to gget the sat. If you see trees or houses, then it's the roof time in spring.

Dont forget to to stand exactly where the dish was, and crouch as low as the centre of the dish was.

Let us know what the result was!

It is important that you keep the angle level, so you can use a spirit level to make sure it's straight.

brewby

Reaction score
Bad luck Georgia grrl, What type of motor are you using? I have just installed an upright disecq Stab hh120 and you have to change the elevation of the dish from the dish makers settings because of the angle the pole of the motor stands at, if you do not make the change then your dish will be looking too high for the clarke belt.
Just a thought

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i think the top of a tree may possibly be in the way of the dish's line of sigh, i'm gonna go up the roof, see if its feasible to lash a pole to the chimneystack, if not, then i'll need to think of something else, as i cant wall mount it, the roughcast is a pile of mince and would just come off in lumps, it's being redone some time next year, but i want my dish up before then.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
georgia_grrl said:
i think the top of a tree may possibly be in the way of the dish's line of sigh, i'm gonna go up the roof, see if its feasible to lash a pole to the chimneystack, if not, then i'll need to think of something else, as i cant wall mount it, the roughcast is a pile of mince and would just come off in lumps, it's being redone some time next year, but i want my dish up before then.
hi
It might not be a good idea to place your dish on a chimney, as it mustn't be above the roof apex / chimney.

Llew

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
why cant it be above the chimney? there isnt even a fire in this house anymore, originally had coal fires, but they replaced them with gas, now we have an electric one in, but its never lit, cos the new heating is so good.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Bloomin' legal restriction innit. :(

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
bugger, oh well. i guess i'm ebaying the dish and stuff then. i think thats easier than moving house so i can put a dish up.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
May I suggest that you simplify the problem a bit. Forget about angles and calculations for the time being.

First, take the motor out of the equation, fix the dish directly to the pole. Get a satellite meter, point the dish in approximately the right direction and then move it very slowly by hand to see if you can find any signal. If so then see if you can get a picture. If you do get a picture then try to identify the channels and figure out which satellite you have found.

If you get that far then you know that you have a clear view of at least one satellite, and that the LNB and decoder work.

Then, try to find your south satellite. When you have a better idea of where the dish should be pointing, put the motor back up and have a go at aligning it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Chiumney mountings can be a bad idea, especially if the mortar is a bit past its best - unless you want to wake up with half a chimney and a dish in bed with you one stormy night!

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Analoguesat said:
Chiumney mountings can be a bad idea, especially if the mortar is a bit past its best - unless you want to wake up with half a chimney and a dish in bed with you one stormy night!
:D

First time I put my analogue dish up, I fixed the bracket to the chimney with both bolts going into a single brick. The chimney was actually taking the weight of the dish. A few weeks later after a storm, I found the dish dangling by the coax, still bolted to the brick and there was a hole in the side of the chimney.
O-Ha

Now I stand the pole on the ridge such that the roof takes the weight and there are three brackets to hold it vertical - wrapped around the side of the chimney and screwed into different bricks. (I repaired the chimney but the bricks are pretty rotten).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
:D you might find this house of horrors instructive - even if only how not to do it!!

hxxp://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgalleryview.html

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Georgia, a tree might be a problem, but it should not keep you from getting signals from other sats. I had the same problem, but at least I got a few og them. Did you do what I suggested with the cardboard?

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
only satellite i can get any signal from is teh astra2 group, the tree in the way is HUGE widtwse, but not too high, so i was kinda hoping it wasnt too high that i couldnt see over the top of it for a while anyway.

ive been out witht he cardbaord and its looking straight through the tree around 10 - 12 feet from teh top of it, at a guess.

i know i can see astra2, because i have a dodgybox here with a pretty decent signal, havent tried moving the dish attached to that anywhere else yet, i might do that tomorrow, if i can be bothered.

i have the whole week off for a court case thats now been cancelled but work dont need me in anyway :D so llong as its not raining or too cold i'll continue to mess about, see if i can get anythign of any use.

i thought about possibly updating the firmware in my technomate receiver, to see if that helps (maybe out of date firmware was buggy as hell and thats why i cant see anything???)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are looking through the tree now, you will certainly lose any signal in the spring once the leaves start growing.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
georgia_grrl said:
only satellite i can get any signal from is teh astra2 group, the tree in the way is HUGE widtwse, but not too high, so i was kinda hoping it wasnt too high that i couldnt see over the top of it for a while anyway. ive been out witht he cardbaord and its looking straight through the tree around 10 - 12 feet from teh top of it, at a guess.
i know i can see astra2, because i have a dodgybox here with a pretty decent signal, havent tried moving the dish attached to that anywhere else yet, i might do that tomorrow, if i can be bothered.

OK, at least you know why now. Have a look at this , maybe this is an option? Worked for me....
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1437

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
T_G said:
OK, at least you know why now.

And the added bonus of a roaring fire at Christmas.

Lidl are doing a chainsaw this week - hmmmm!

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
trees arent mine, my tree is long gone, mmm..... chainsaw!!!!!!!!!
plus the local council, nevermind the community council anbd the residents assoc would go apesh*t if i even looked funny at the trees.