Burn Secured CD-R's

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I would like to burn some files to a CD-R, but need to have some sort of a security (password) in order to view the contents.
The only way I can think of at the moment is to zip or rar all the folders, subfolders and files into an archive secured with a password on the PC and then burn to a CD-R..
Just wondering if there is a burning software that have this feature before actually burning.
I think that I have seen something like this on a SanDisk USB flash, but I lost all the info after formatting it to use in the /var sufolder for Dreambox receiver.
Come to think of it, I might just use a USB flash instead of a CD-R, but would like also to have this option for a CD-R, as the media is much cheaper.

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
You didn't mention what type of files you are trying to protect. You can password protect WORD, EXCEL, ACCESS files individually. The password will remain in place when you burn the CD. You could also have a look at TrueCrypt and Crosscrypt, both free software, to see if they might be any good for you.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks irart for the reply. :)
All type of files, even TXT.
I don't want to put password to everything, just one p/w for the whole CD.
The reason for asking is if I send a client some confidential documents by post for example, and the CD-R gets lost or falls into the wrong hands, I want the info to be protected.
I will check the two suggested applications and update you if they give me a solution.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Quite by chance, I received today an offer from Nero to buy Nero 8 with free gift offer for Steganos Safe 2008.
Checked the Steganos website and it looked like they have what I need.
Downloaded a 30 days evaluation, and after install there are several applications:
- Steganos Safe
- Steganos Portable Safe
Tested the Portable Safe with a CD-RW, added few files and after burning with Nero, reinserted the CD-RW in the drive and it asked for a password, exactly what I wanted.
Also good for a USB stick.
The Steganos Safe will enable the user to have secured drives on the HDD.
You choose a suitable drive letter, size and password and the application will format a portion of the HDD where you can add all the files that you want to keep secured with password. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Nice one HB. I usually use winrar, it is a (free) zip program, but you can tell it how much to compress. I think it even has a setting whereby it is not really compressing. The advantage of this is that you can use it to automatically split files into a wanted size, and all are password protected. THis is handy when putting files up on a web based server, I use this at work as I don't fancy burning dvds and sending them out, especially if it is for several people.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
dont use cdr
the surface structure of cd rw are better to burn secure rom!
it comes nearer to the orginal surface
if you need no cd cracks for games,or what ever go to __w.gamecopyworld.com/

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo's 60, SF75, 90, 120 (motorized),
Triax Unique MF,
DVB-S2 cards
My Location
Germany
It is all a kinda useless attempt.

The main goal with optical storage should be achieving data integrity, not everything else.