chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
BSkyB have now come up with a service that is sure to challenge online retailers such as Apple iTunes as they are now launching a new movie download service that allows the user to keep, this is known as “buy and keep”.

This service which is due to be rolled out very soon will form part of BskyB’s current film rental service which is based on pay-per-view known as Sky Store. The new buy and keep service will be aimed at families who already have Sky subscriptions and usually bought DVD’s but found it easy and convenient to purchase the films electronically.

What this new service will offer BskyB is the possibility of finding a way into the UK DVD market which in recent years has seen a serious decline in sales but is still worth a lot of money. The revenue from downloaded content, streamed content and subscriptions has increased yearly and is worth almost £650m. This has resulted in the buy and keep market to grow in 2013 for the first time in several years. Although this service is new it is going to have some serious competition from the likes of Amazon Netflix and Apple, so they will have to work hard to make a success of this new venture.

Their positive beginnings in the rental market has set them up well for moving forward with this, and this is why BskyB believe that they can make a success of giving customers the chance to purchase films that they can keep. There is no reason why BskyB should not have go at making this work, they have the customer base and the ability to push sales so the opportunity is there for them to really take a large chunk of the market. The buy and keep service will really offer customers the chance to choose what they want, giving them the flexibility and accessibility that they would expect from a digital store whilst having it delivered to their televisions instantly, all through the push of a button. That’s how simple this service aims to be.

This venture is a very important one for BskyB and as they are chasing a large part of the market that can potentially bring in decent portion of the total turnover in the DVD market. The fact that they have taken the plunge and are trying to make this service as big as it possibly can be proves that they expect it to be as successful as it has been for their competitors.

The service is going to be accessible for all customers via their main Sky+ set top box and other devices, but the pricing for this service is still unknown, but for this new service is something that competition should be watching and waiting for.

Attachments

• SkyHD receiver.jpeg
    SkyHD receiver.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 451

Tatra Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
UK:-
Mini-dish - Panasonic TX-P50VT65B, DMR-BS850EBK & $ky box
Old dish - SAGEM ISD91 TNT-SAT HD box
Steerable 80cm dish - Fortec-Star Passion HD box

France:-
Gibertini 125cm - Inverto Black Ultra - Panasonic TH50-PZ81B & DMR-BS750EBK + Pace $ky box
My Location
Buckinghamshire (UK) & The Cerdagne (France)
BSkyB have now come up with a service that is sure to challenge online retailers such as Apple iTunes as they are now launching a new movie download service that allows the user to keep, this is known as “buy and keep”.

"Keep"? How long for when a $ky box has no way whatsoever of making an HD recording which will outlast the box and its hard drive?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Indeed ..the only way you could theoretically KEEP a purchased movie is to allow it to be exported to an external drive for storage..
It could remain encrypted thus only watchable with a valid sly card in the card slot...
..but unless this feature is enabled ..
export:- encrypted in digital format then the service does not live up to it's description ...and many will still buy dvd or bluray to KEEP and actually OWN their favourite movie(s).
nuff said.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
...exported to an external drive for storage ... It could remain encrypted thus only watchable with a valid sly card in the card slot...
And, given past experience, they would then become unviewable after the next card change.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
"Keep"? How long for when a $ky box has no way whatsoever of making an HD recording which will outlast the box and its hard drive?
From Sky web page on Buy and Keep - http://skymovies.sky.com/buy-keep-movies-with-sky-store
Once you've selected the movie you want to buy, it's saved straight to your Sky+HD box and available to watch in minutes. Then the movie is yours to enjoy again and again, regardless of whether you move house or change Sky boxes in the future.
So it would appear once you have paid for and downloaded it - if the box is changed for any reason you can then redownload foc.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I guess it's like say google Play store, you buy an app on Device A, you upgrade to Device B, it's automatically installed when you sign in, and it's on Device C too just because you have it, so once you buy a movie, so long as you hold an account, it's yours for as long as you keep shelling out the money to them... :)

You can also "buy to keep" movies on 'droids too, so you don't need to be tethered to a sky box... :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Presumably it's using the Internet for downloading rather than VOD satellite.