Buying a new system....need advice pls

roadrage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax with Twin LNB's, Manhattan Starlight MX
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
Hi,

I am about to venture into the world of digital satellite sytems (other than sky). My girlfriend is french so she would like to watch french channels, I on the other hand would like to watch premiership footy. I live in the UK, westmidlands.
I am a complete novice to this, although i have done a little reading. Can anyone suggest what type of equipment i should go for? I know i will need reciever, satellite, cam card/s. Also what type of dish is better a fixed one or a motorised. I have also been reading about dragon cams what would be the advantage of one of those over any other type? I have a budget of around £500 and i would also need to know where to get the equipment from. I hope you have as much information needed to help me and your time will be warmly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

regards roadrage

chasb441

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Saudi
Welcome. I am fairly new to this wonderful pass time too. French is a hot topic just now. One of the main channels ,TPS (multivision) has just taken a nose dive with new encrypt? or other big change to its system. Lots of threads on this and other sites reference the subject. As for a system....Dreambox7000 with motorised dish would be my choice, although you will need to be a bit 'nerdie' (ha ha..arnt we all!) and be able to operate a PC with a certain amount of confidence. As for the cams and things....my knowledge is a bit low. I take pictures with mine!!! ha ha. sorry couldn’t resist that one. Good luck with your new hobby and be prepared to 'burn the midnight oil'!

chasb441

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Saudi
opps...forgot the footie bit! loads of it on various sats....last night watched a strange game ....not sure if it was footie though!!! (england/spain) on hotbird. spainish channel. i live in the middle east and the 'hbirds' are good for us here.

roadrage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dragon Cam, Sly Dish, Freeview Reciever, Three TV's , Phillips Wireless TV Links, PS2, PC Laptop and hoping to grow.
My Location
West Midlands
chasb441,

Does this "TPS" taking a nosedive mean that nobody will be able to view it any more? Thanks for the advice btw, would appreciate some more thoughts from others please.

Kind Regards

roadrage

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
roadrage said:
My girlfriend is french so she would like to watch french channels

Fear not, you've a might budget there dear boy, the National French channels (TF1/france 2/france 3/la cinque/M6) are still all free to air - however they still use that antiquated system - analogue. You can get an analogue receiver off ebay for about £25, in the midlands you'll probably need an 80cm dish. Here's some DIY advice gettting french TV (http://tinyurl.com/452qy). These channels reside on Atlantic Bird 3, 5 Degrees West.

As mentioned in the previous reply, in the digital world, the TPS package is where the french channels come from, if you're a naughty boy you can get it for free (well until tuesday you could then some things changed - consult the Viaccess forum) and I beleive you can subscribe for around 7Eur a month for the basic package. TPS hangs off Hotbird at 13 Degrees East. The french national channels aren't yet avaiable free to air in a digital format. (You can get TV5 free to air on Astra 19.2E, and RTBF sat - belgian french too)

For more info on french TV, and to save me repeating myself consult my replies to this thread http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=30131

For your football I wouldn't know where to start, but some of the guys on these forums will point you in the right direction. As for CAMs its a whole new world out there, I've no personal experience - yet!

If you want a minimum of boxes the Technomate DACPI will do both Digital & Analogue (http://www.technomate.com/products2.php), I'm not sure what its CAM compatibility is like - again no experience.

Finally welcome to the world of satellite, there's a lot of viewing out there.

-CTS

roadrage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
closetosoton,

Thanks very much for the advice, will read asap! vbmenu_register("postmenu_151545", true);