Buying an MP3 Player

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I am thinking about treating myself this Christmas.

I would rather like a Portable MP3 Player.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I should look out for or avoid, and any suggestions for sources.

Kind regards

W. Hole

PS. Some free music now available via Satellite:

In case of a promotion-tour, XTRA Music is broadcast 16 audio-channels
for free. For reception, please tune-in 12.051 GHz v (SR 27500, FEC
3/4). You can listen Symphonic, Modern Country, Euro Hits, UK Hits,
Indian Pop, Beautiful Instruments, Smooth Jazz, Brazil Carnival, Rock 'n
Roll Oldies, 80s Hits, 90s Hits, Trends, Classic Rock, Hottest Hits,
Blues and Reggae.

Info courtesy of Stefan Hagedorn - Still the best newsletter for Sat Fans!

S

Stargazer

Suggestions:
  • Go for one that uses standard batteries rather than any proprietary built-in ones - you can then use rechargeable NiMH (nickel-metal hydride) batteries to keep running costs to a minimum. With a proprietary battery, you will have to throw the player away once it dies (even the best rechargeables have a limited lifespan);
  • Consider getting a disc-based player only if you don't intend to be using it for exercise (e.g. jogging) or really need 1GB+ of storage - otherwise go for one using flash memory (smaller, needs less power, no moving parts to go wrong);
  • 5 different types of flash memory are used (Compact Flash, Smartmedia, Secure Digital, Multimedia, Memory Stick) - if you are already using a specific type then look for a player using it. Otherwise go for Compact Flash - it is available in larger sizes and at lower prices;
  • Look for a high-speed connection with your PC, either USB 2.0 or Firewire (as long as your PC has it) rather than plain USB 1.1 - especially if you are looking at loading up a gigabyte or so;
  • Avoid DRM (Digital Rights Management) like the plague - life's complex enough without your player deciding that you no longer have rights to listen to your music;
  • Check that the player is upgradeable to handle newer formats (e.g. Ogg Vorbis - this can offer higher quality in less space than .mp3's).
Ones worth checking out in my view would include the NexIIe (but does not yet support Ogg), Neuros (proprietary battery) or iRiver iHP120. Also, check the Slashdot thread iRiver Announces A New Ogg/MP3 Player, some good points made there with links to other players.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
I got the Packard Bell CD-RW mp3 player £ 39.99 from PC World normally £79.99

. It is a gem. 15 hours playback on x2AA batteries. Hraddidc based are too expensive. The harddrive can currupt. and then pay huge money to fix it.

only draw back there is no ID tag. but displsy shows/ Album Track and time of track.

For the price this is a killer player.