Buying new satellite meter - Help?

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE Sky+ HD box, PACE DS440NB Sky Digibox, Technomate 6900HD Super combo+, 1 Metre Dish motorised from 45W to 30E. Panasonic TX-P50G10B 50" Plasma with RTÉ Saorview and UK Freesat.
My Location
SW Ireland
Hello people,

I am new to satellites.co.uk, but have been lurking for awhile, great site, very informative.

I currently have a Skinka Electronics DSMC 10 Digital Satellite Meter (yellow brick type). I bought this 2nd hand off eBay a few years ago. However the thing is gone faulty. It gives me "SHUTTING DOWN" "LNB SHORT" everytime it is switched on, previously it would only do this when connected to the LNB.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I have decided to get myself a new satellite meter, I have done some looking around and there seems to be four good makes available.

They being,

I would like to know if anybody here owns any of these or has ever used one of them? So far the Satlook Micro+ looks the best to me due to its lower price and good features. I want something that is future proof and can be programmed with new satellites that may launch in future.

I am not an Installer but just a hobbyist and since my old meter died I have become dependent on those Analogue type meters that are flogged on eBay everyday for around €5. They are disaster and I want a the right tool for the job.

If there are other makes that I have missed please let me know.

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, have not owned any of those meters, but have played with them all and the Satlook is in my opinion the best, you may perhaps consider paying a little more and going for the NIT, this one I do have and it is hard to beat at the price. ;)

PS. Nearly bought one of the Stinka meters way back, but was put off when I found out that it was the same guy from whom I'd bought the Premier meter the year before and who basically said hard luck when it broke down. :)

Licinius

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
My Location
Andalucia, Spain
Thanks guys I was about to post an almost identical question. I was also considering the Satfinder2 & DSM3000 but by the time shipping & customs charges are added its not worth it.

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE Sky+ HD box, PACE DS440NB Sky Digibox, Technomate 6900HD Super combo+, 1 Metre Dish motorised from 45W to 30E. Panasonic TX-P50G10B 50" Plasma with RTÉ Saorview and UK Freesat.
My Location
SW Ireland
Thanks for the advice fellas, I think i'll go for the Satlook Micro+, it has gotten good reviews on a few other sites I checked out too. I will post up in a few weeks when I get it and have tested it out properly.

My master plan is to Motorise my LIDL Comag 80cms Dish and Comag SL65 Receiver with the meter and to use it for a few other odd jobs aswell, I will then have three dishes up at my place :)

Licinius

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
My Location
Andalucia, Spain
netwhizkid said:
think i'll go for the Satlook Micro+

My thoughts exactly m8, hopefully it will be here tomorrow so I can play Humping

Licinius

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
My Location
Andalucia, Spain
Licinius said:
My thoughts exactly m8, hopefully it will be here tomorrow so I can play Humping

Over optimism on my behalf, don't you just hate companies who wait until they have your money before ordering stock?

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SW Ireland
Licinius said:
Over optimism on my behalf, don't you just hate companies who wait until they have your money before ordering stock?

Which company did you order off Licinius? I went ahead and ordered the Satlook Micro+ off Wizard Satellite as Myerssat don't ship to Ireland. Anyway two weeks on and I still haven't got my meter, apparently their supplier has not sent it to them yet and they have now got the supplier to send the meter directly to me. The Wizard Satellite guys are wasters in my opinion and I have made several phone calls to them already about it and I still don't really know where I stand.

I have had to postpone an installation twice now encount of them and will probably have to do it for free now to keep the guy happy. I am not even a professional at satellite installation but promised a friend of the family I'd rig them up with satellite tv.

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SW Ireland
Got my meter today read about my exploits here